Installation in Hyper-V

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by GJW, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GJW

GJW

Hi,

I try to install the free version of 3CX in a Virtual Machine in Hyper-V (for evaluation) and I am following the instructions in http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/hyper-v-instance/ . However, Hyper-V expects an .iso file for the installation, while the download is an .exe file. How can I solve this problem?

Regards,
    Gerhard

2. concs

Where are you up to?
    Have you created a Virtual Machine yet? If so what operating system did you use?

3. GJW

GJW

I have installed Hyper-V Server R2 SP1 (the free download) and created a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Manager. As suggested by the above mentioned webpage I chose the option ‘Install an Operating system from a boot Cd/DVD’. When I start the Virtual Machine and connect to it I get in the '3CX Virtual Machine on Hyperserver' window the message "Boot failure. Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device". If I choose in this window Media>DVD Drive>Insert Disk and click then on the DVD drive I can select a file name, but only an ISO Image file. I have in the DVD drive a DVD with the 3CX installation exe, but I cannot start it from this window.

4. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

You must install first an operation system, i.e. MS Windows 2008R2 server on a virtual machine, and then install the 3CX PhoneSystem in that virtual machine (3CX is not containing an operation system in its distribution, like some Asterisk distribution packages).

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. GJW

GJW

Thank you Orlin for this clarification. The article "Creating a Hyper V instance for 3CX in Windows 2008" by Nick Galea does not mention the installation of an operating system on the virtual machine instance, just that "You can now proceed with the install like any other OS installation" (11). I got the impression that it might be possible to run 3CX on the server core. Wouldn't it be nice not to worry about Windows updates and problems?

Thanks again for your help,
    Gerhard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.