Installation problem creating user phonesystem__3cx__

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mrmahes, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmahes

I downloaded the wonderful 3cx pbx software free edition and installed in on my laptop, which was running all the modules with no problem at all. But when I tried to install in on my desktop computer, the installation program freezes in the very beginning while "creating user phonesystem__3cx__" appears on the screen. I have four user accounts on Windows XP on this computer and was not able to install the 3cx phone system on the desktop. What I attempted to do was to log in to Windows on safe mode and then install the program. Everything worked fine, but when I run Windows on normal mode, the special account phonesystem__3cx__ is not there, what prevents the PBX central from running properly. Does anyone have a clue about what's happening on my desktop? I was not able to get the software running, not even to install it. Thank you very much in advance.

2. jantoney

3CX - I haven't looked for one but does the installer have a INSTALL log?? - If so can you please let us know where it is so MRMAHES can look at it....
    - also the user "phonesystem__3cx__" is that part of the database backend or is it a windows account that is created? Maybe you can do a quick explain on where this user is setup because i dont have my 3cx server here cause im at home and unable to check it atm....

MRMAHES - This issue is very similar to another post in the fourm, except that the other user has installed it OK and the user has just disappeared.
    If you want to keep track of it here is the link... There may be some answers in that post that come up!

http://www.3cx.com/forums/postgres-database-server-service-will-not-start-4102.html

HOWEVER to help you out can you please answer these few questions..
    - What windows user are you installing the pbx under?*
    - Have you tried installing the PBX under the 'ADMINISTRATOR' account?*
    - Are there any logs posted into the WINDOWS EVENT VIEWER? - If so can you post any relevent ones here...
    - What are any major program differences between the laptop and your desktop... eg do you have another webserver installed on you dekstop where as its not on your laptop. or maybe you HAD a server installed on your desktop that you removed. this may have left something behind that may be stopping the install
    * = There may be a permissions issue with you being unable to add a user

-- Last big thing.. Can you PLEASE use the enter key when posting... it makes it real hard to read the post when its all one big line!... THANKS --

LET US KNOW HOW YOU GO AND IF ANYTHING HELPS...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. polyphemos

There is definitely some problem with the creation of the "phonesystem..." user, but apparently only on some systems. I get similar problems when attempting install on a desktop running w2000, while installation on an xp laptop system went flawlessly.

Have tried various tricks described in earlier posts but am not able to get the system up and running. Symptoms in more detail:

When the installer tries to start the database server, I get this error message:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to termninate the application.

The installation continues however, and all other services are running, so I can log in to the management console, but then immediately get this error:

3CX Phone System internal error.

Can't connect to the database server - server unreachable (may be stopped)

SQLSTATE[08006] [7] could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)<br />
    Is the server running on host "???" and accepting<br />
    TCP/IP connections on port 5480?<br>#0 C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\functions\CallContext.php(37): PDO->__construct('pgsql:dbname=ph...', 'admin', 'bongbong')<br />
    #1 C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\functions\CallContext.php(86): CallContext->getConnection()<br />
    #2 C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\functions\fExtension.php(78): CallContext->safeExec('select DN.IDDN ...', Array, 'Cannot get Exte...')<br />
    #3 C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\functions\fObject.php(90): fExtension->getData()<br />
    #4 C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\index.php(7): fObject->getManager()<br />
    #5 {main}

This is because the database service is not running, and it cannot be started manually either. However, as described in earlier posts, if the "phonesystem..." user is manually added to the local "Users" group, this enables the service to be started. Seems a little odd, because if I look at the successful xp installation, it did NOT add "phonesystem..." to Users. (Other suggested tricks such as manually increasing permissions were not needed for me.)

However, this does not really help either, because once the database works, it refuses to accept my login credentials:

3CX Phone System internal error.

Can't connect to the database server - invalid password or login name

SQLSTATE[08006] [7] FATAL: password authentication failed for user "admin"<br>#0 C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\functions\CallContext.php(37): PDO->__construct('pgsql:dbname=ph...', 'admin', 'bongbong')<br />
    #1 C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\functions\CallContext.php(86): CallContext->getConnection()<br />
    #2 C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\functions\fExtension.php(78): CallContext->safeExec('select DN.IDDN ...', Array, 'Cannot get Exte...')<br />
    #3 C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\functions\fObject.php(90): fExtension->getData()<br />
    #4 C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\index.php(7): fObject->getManager()<br />
    #5 {main}

Uninstalled and reinstalled a few times with same result. Installing on C: rather than some other partition (as described in an earlier post) did not make any difference. Don't know if this could be related to some difference between how w2000 and xp handles user accounts. The w2000 is an older machine, but completely updated so old system files should not be the culprit.

4. jantoney

Hey,

I am still working on this issue and have setup a Virtual Server so i dont stuff up my config....
    I will post back when i get a resolution.
    I have also emailed 3CX in relation to the username/password for this so i can find a solution!

Just letting you know so you dont think that you have been ignored!
    If anyone else has a solution please feel free to post!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jantoney

Hi All..

OK the issue can be resolved (as far as i have tested) by doing the following...
    Basicly what we have to do is create the user
    set permissions
    change the login details for the service...

Im going to try write this for all windows versions so i know there may be an easier way in some OS's....
    STEPS TO DO
    CREATE THE USER
    - click Start
    - Right click 'My Computer'
    - click 'Manage'
    - expand 'System Tools' > 'Local users and groups' > 'users'
    ** If the user 'phonesystem__3cx__' is listed then skip to stared out box below...**
    - On the list on the right, Right-click below the last user (in the white space) and click 'New User'
    - Complete the form useing these details
    Username: phonesystem__3cx__ <----- NOTICE DOUBLE _
    Full name: phonesystem__3cx__
    Description: phonesystem__3cx__
    Password: 3cxdata <------ PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT THE PASSWORD SET DURING SETUP!!! - ITS ONE I MADE UP
    Confirm Password: 3cxdata
    UNTICK - 'User must change password at next logon'
    TICK - 'User cannot change password'
    TICK - 'Password never expires'
    UNTICK - 'Account is disabled'
    - Click Create

* If the user existed then right click the user and click *
    * 'SET PASSWORD' then type in '3cxdata' *
    * Click PROCEED to any warnings *
    * Click OK to set the password *

- Exit 'Computer Management'
    - Click Start
    - Click Run <------ If option not avaiable on the keyboard use the shortcut [windows key] + R
    - type 'c:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\'
    - Click OK
    - Right click the folder 'DB'
    - click Properties
    - click the 'security' tab
    IF the user 'phonesystem__3cx__' is already listed ensure that they have FULL permissions then skip past this permissions bit...
    - Click 'ADD'
    - Type 'phonesystem__3cx__'
    - Click OK
    - Select the phonesystem__3cx__ user from the list and click the 'Full Control' tick box below...
    - click 'Advanced'
    - TICK 'Replace permissions entrires on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects'
    - Click OK
    - Click Yes on any warrnings
    - exit the 'DB PROPERTIES' window
    - exit the folder view window
    ----------------- END PERMISSIONS ------------------------------

- Click Start
    - Click Run <------ If option not avaiable on the keyboard use the shortcut [windows key] + R
    - Type 'services.msc' then click OK
    - Find the service named '3CX PhoneSystem Database Server'
    this service should be stoped but others should be running
    - Right click and then click Properties
    - Click the 'Log On' tab
    - Ensure that the 'This Account' tick box IS SELECTED!
    - Ensure that field is set to '.\phonesystem__3cx__'
    - Clear the Password and Confirm Password boxes and type in '3cxdata' as set before
    - Click OK
    - Right click the service and click START

All should be good now!
    Please let us know how you go and post any errors or changes you had to make!

**** I know this is not a resolution to the topic but it is a work around. ****
    I have also not tested this with an upgrade so im not to sure how 3CX will react after an upgrade... You may have to do it again, however im sure we may be able to find a resolution to the issue by then...
    Its just hard when i cant replicate it!

6. mrmahes

Hi everybody.
    Thank you very much for the attemp to solve the problem, but the bad news is that I tried everything proposed up to now and it didn't work.

The fact is that the installation process gets stuck in the very beginning, right after choosing the user name and password for the later management of the pbx system. The programs shows the message "creating user phonesystem__3cx__" forever and stays there! Because of that, there are no logs of the installation, not even the folder in the program files is created yet.

I tried then to install the system on safe mode in order to get past this problem, what happened flawlessly (except for the fact the Windows was not able to start the services, I think).

Right after doing that, I logged onto Windows on normal mode, checked the server status, everything was working, except for the DATABASE service (and the PBX service, which is a dependency). I then followed the instructions to manually create the user "phonesystem__3cx__" (which was not there), set the password, permissions, went to services.msc, but the service does not start. Error is number 1069: "unable to start the service due to a logon failure".

I checked the Windows Service that logs the errors, and the only error available for postgresql is "FATAL: could not reattach to shared memory (key=5480001, addr=01370000): Invalid argument", which I wasn't able to link to any special cause.

P.S. The main issue is that my Windows XP does not let me get past the beginning of the installation and stays forever while creating the user phonesystem__3cx__ (I have ADMIN privileges). Why? The workaround with the safe mode lets the installation proceed, but also creates other problems, like not letting the services start correctly and also leaves a problem with the database server.

This seems to be a new problem, since I haven't found anything similar in the forum topics. Thank you for the help!

7. kevin

kevin Member

Hi there

Please attempt an installation as follows:

1. Create a new user
    2. Make the new user a member of the local Administrators group
    3. Logout
    4. Login as the user just created
    5. Uninstall 3CX Phone System (if it is installed)
    6. Install 3CX Phone System

Please advise the outcome of your tests. Also advise which edition of Windows XP you are using (home, pro, media centre) and whether you are using an English version of XP or some other language...

Regards

8. polyphemos

Thanks jantoney for your effort, but I'm afraid this does not solve the problem. I went through your steps, but the database server still refuses to start UNLESS I add the "phonesystem..." user to the local "Users" group. This is the ONLY change I need to perform to get it started.

Then once I log on to the management console, the exact same problem remains. Same error message pointing to wrong credentials.

Two new little pieces of information however which may be of some interest.

1) Installation also created a second user, or tried to. It's named "S-1-5-21-725345543-688789844-1957994488-1015" and (rightly) labelled with a questionmark by Windows. Looks very much like a registry string to me - perhaps something which gets written into the wrong field somewhere? I did notice this phenomenon at least once during my several installation attempts yesterday, but not sure if it was consistent.

2) I noted now that in the management console I can in fact get into a few of the menu choices in the lefthand column, including the Server status, which reports that media server fails to find the IVR server at port 5483 - and constantly keeps trying. Found the tracelog which looks like this:

2008/02/05 >>
    21:15:48.218|.\Service.cpp(107)|Trace5||??:CServiceModule ctor<br>
    21:15:48.258|.\Service.cpp(313)|Trace5||main:_tmain start<br>
    21:15:48.288|.\CallMgr.cpp(896)|Log2||LoadLicenceInfo:[CM501010]: License Info: Load Failed<br>
    21:15:48.288|.\Service.cpp(189)|Trace5|CallManager|CServiceModule::preMessageLoop:>>>> Starting PBX service <<<<<br>
    21:15:48.398|.\CallMgr.cpp(136)|Log2|CallManager|CallMgr::Initialize:[CM501001]: Start 3CX PhoneSystem Call Manager<br>
    21:15:48.398|.\CallMgr.cpp(137)|Log2|CallManager|CallMgr::Initialize:[CM501002]: Version: 5.0.3790.0<br>
    21:15:48.408|.\CallCtrl.cpp(18)|Log2||CallCtrl::thread:[CM501007]: *** Started Calls Controller thread ***<br>
    21:15:48.408|.\CallMgr.cpp(642)|Log2|CallManager|CallMgr::findLocalIPs:[CM501006]: Default Local IP address: [192.168.0.2]<br>
    21:15:48.408|.\CallMgr.cpp(142)|Trace5|CallManager|CallMgr::Initialize:** Initializing SIP stack **<br>
    21:15:48.428|UdpTransport.cxx(34)|Trace5|Resip|::ResipLogger:Creating UDP transport host=192.168.0.2 port=5060 ipv4=1<br>
    21:15:48.428|UdpTransport.cxx(34)|Trace5|Resip|::ResipLogger:Creating UDP transport host=127.0.0.1 port=5060 ipv4=1<br>
    21:15:48.438|TcpTransport.cxx(27)|Trace5|Resip|::ResipLogger:Creating TCP transport host= port=5060 ipv4=1<br>
    21:15:48.448|DnsUtil.cxx(140)|Trace5|Resip|::ResipLogger:local hostname does not contain a domain part<br>
    21:15:48.468|.\CM_Stack.cpp(78)|Trace5|SipStack|CallMgr::Stack::Initialize:Stack dump: SipStack: without security
    domains: [127.0.0.1:5060, 192.168.0.2:5060, 3CXPhoneSystem:5060, Server:5060, sip.bjorkeryd.dyndns.org:5060]
    TUFifo size=0
    Timers size=0
    AppTimers size=0
    ServerTransactionMap size=0
    ClientTransactionMap size=0
    Exact Transports=[[ V4 127.0.0.1:5060 UDP target domain=unspecified connectionId=0 ] -> 015D7C78, [ V4 192.168.0.2:5060 UDP target domain=unspecified connectionId=0 ] -> 00F88C90]
    Any Transports=[[ V4 0.0.0.0:5060 TCP target domain=unspecified connectionId=0 ] -> 015D7F40]
    <br>
    21:15:49.460|.\DBAccessor.cpp(85)|Log2||DBA:[CM501003]: Connected: Database<br>
    21:15:53.446|.\Service.cpp(202)|Trace5|CallManager|CServiceModule::preMessageLoop:>>>> PBX service started successfully <<<<<br>
    21:15:53.446|.\CM_Stack.cpp(130)|Trace5|SipStack|CallMgr::Stack::thread:** Enter Stack Loop **<br>
    21:15:53.446|.\CallMgr.cpp(426)|Trace5|DUM|CallMgr::DumThread::thread:** Enter DUM Thread **<br>
    21:15:58.493|.\CallMgr.cpp(746)|Log2|CallManager|CallMgr::eek:nAddIPs:IP(s) added:[192.168.0.2]<br>
    21:16:05.092|.\SLServer.cpp(32)|Log5||ListenConnect:SL: connected Server:0/VoiceBoxManagerService at [Server]/VoiceBoxManagerService<br>
    21:16:15.327|.\SLServer.cpp(32)|Log5||ListenConnect:SL: connected Server:0/MediaServer at [Server]/MediaServer<br>
    21:16:15.327|.\MSInterface.cpp(727)|Log2||MediaServerConnected:[CM112000] Media Server is connected<br>
    21:16:15.327|.\MSInterface.cpp(729)|Trace5||MediaServerConnected:New MS Factory created: 16304880<br>
    21:16:15.327|.\MSInterface.cpp(735)|Trace5||MediaServerConnected:Factory is added<br>
    21:16:16.278|.\MSInterface.cpp(655)|Trace5||??:MSLogReports<br>
    21:16:16.278|.\SLServer.cpp(367)|Log2|MediaServer|MediaServerReporting::Service:IVR not found on 127.0.0.1:5483<br>
    21:16:17.280|.\MSInterface.cpp(655)|Trace5||??:MSLogReports<br>
    21:16:17.280|.\SLServer.cpp(367)|Log2|MediaServer|MediaServerReporting::Service:*** Connecting to [127.0.0.1:5483] ***<br>
    21:16:18.281|.\MSInterface.cpp(655)|Trace5||??:MSLogReports<br>
    21:16:18.281|.\SLServer.cpp(367)|Log2|MediaServer|MediaServerReporting::Service:IVR not found on 127.0.0.1:5483<br>
    21:16:19.293|.\MSInterface.cpp(655)|Trace5||??:MSLogReports<br>
    21:16:19.293|.\SLServer.cpp(367)|Log2|MediaServer|MediaServerReporting::Service:*** Connecting to [127.0.0.1:5483] ***<br>
    21:16:20.284|.\MSInterface.cpp(655)|Trace5||??:MSLogReports<br>
    21:16:20.284|.\SLServer.cpp(367)|Log2|MediaServer|MediaServerReporting::Service:IVR not found on 127.0.0.1:5483<br>
    21:16:21.296|.\MSInterface.cpp(655)|Trace5||??:MSLogReports<br>
    21:16:21.296|.\SLServer.cpp(367)|Log2|MediaServer|MediaServerReporting::Service:*** Connecting to [127.0.0.1:5483] ***<br>
    21:16:22.307|.\MSInterface.cpp(655)|Trace5||??:MSLogReports<br>
    21:16:22.307|.\SLServer.cpp(367)|Log2|MediaServer|MediaServerReporting::Service:IVR not found on 127.0.0.1:5483<br>

and so it continues until I uninstall...

I also dug out another w2000 machine from the attic to see whether I could repeat the problem. This one is a 10 year old Dell laptop with a PIII 500 and 256 MB. Installation succeeds like a charm.

So let's drop this for now. I can evaluate on another machine, and if I need to use the problematic one later I'll just have to reinstall the OS or perhaps upgrade to 2003 server. Thanks again for swift response.

9. bannywhey

Just a thought for you chaps. I had run across exactly the same problem. I installed 3CX went like a charm and then all of a sudden after a reboot the services would not start.

The services were complaining about dependencies etc and the DB was complaining about logon rights.

I think I have found out when the happened to me. If the machine you have installed 3CX on is a member of a windows server domain it may forces you to use complex passwords of a minimum length for example '3ggyW33!!' if the Phonesystem account is using something that does not meet the password criteria then it seems to reset it and the DB service will not start.

Go to Local Users and Computers change the password to something that meets your password policy and then go and change the password on the service.

You should be a very happy monkey then it fixed it for me.

Cheers,

BW.

10. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Thanks for this feedback. In v8 we have removed this user creation to avoid any issues in the future!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.