Installation problem on Windows 2003 SBS

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by lvkam72, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lvkam72

Hi,
    i'm installing 5.1 version (build 4510) on Windows 2003 SBS.

The installation wizard starts and immediately display the following message:

3CX PhoneSystem Setup Wizard ended prematurely
    3CX PhoneSystem setup ended prematurely because of an error.
    Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again.

Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard

In the Event Viewer there is the following event:

0000: 7b 35 35 42 44 30 33 43 {55BD03C
    0008: 32 2d 45 41 35 36 2d 34 2-EA56-4
    0010: 44 42 42 2d 38 43 39 38 DBB-8C98
    0018: 2d 39 38 32 30 36 44 38 -98206D8
    0020: 43 43 31 38 34 7d CC184}

No log file has been generated.

This is the second installation on a similar system.
    The previous one is running without any problem.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. coelhopsi

Can you please install the application using verbose logging and send us the logs afterwards?

Run the following command to activate logging:
    msiexec.exe /i <path to 3CX MSI file> /log 3cxinstall.log

Send us the 3cxinstall.log file so we can check what could be causing this issue.

3. lvkam72

The installation log is attached at this post.
    Thanks.

4. asfuture

asfuture New Member

Hi Ivkam72
    on the 3cx site you can find this:
    "Platform: Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista version: 5.1" are supported by 3CX

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. coelhopsi

What do you mean asfuture? You think that WS2003 Small Business Server wouldn't be a supported platform for 3CX and that would be causing the error?

It seems to me that the problem lies on script StopServicesBeforeSetup.vbs. It's probably trying to stop some service and this is not being possible. I still hadn't time to check what this script does, but as soon as I have some time to take a look at it, will keep you posted.

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Please try 3CX Phone System v6 and see if this makes a difference.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Glitch

I have the same problem, on WinXPSP3 with no previous install, it would appear the the 'AppSearch' function in the MSI installer package is producing a false positive by it's return code value of '1', therefore calling 'StopServicesBeforeSetup.vbs' which is in error due to the service not being installed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Action start 14:04:20: AppSearch.
    AppSearch: Property: INSTALLED_BUILD_NUMBER, Signature: AppSearchSign
    Action ended 14:04:20: AppSearch. Return value 1.
    Action 14:04:20: StopServicesBeforeSetup.vbs.
    Action start 14:04:20: StopServicesBeforeSetup.vbs.
    Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action StopServicesBeforeSetup.vbs script error -2147024894, : Line 161, Column 5,
    MSI (c) (98:48) [14:04:28:265]: Product: 3CX PhoneSystem -- Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action StopServicesBeforeSetup.vbs script error -2147024894, : Line 161, Column 5,

Action ended 14:04:28: StopServicesBeforeSetup.vbs. Return value 3.
    Action 14:04:28: FatalError.
    Action start 14:04:28: FatalError.
    Action 14:04:28: FatalError. Dialog created
    Action ended 14:04:29: FatalError. Return value 2.
    Action ended 14:04:29: INSTALL. Return value 3.

8. etm_ltd

Hi

I have personnaly installed the v5.1.4510 on one of my customer server one French Windows SBS 2003 R2 SP2 standard edition 32bits with 2 nics 1 month ago.

There are no problems.

The customer is currently making test.

9. asfuture

asfuture New Member

why do you not try what the admin say: "Please try 3CX Phone System v6 and see if this makes a difference"
    i'm very curious.

10. adza

Hi,

I'm having the same problem trying to install version 6.

Attached is a copy of the log file.

11. adza

Also tried installing latest version of 5.1 with the same problem, but can install our old 5.0 file that I found lying around fine.

Thanks & Regards

Adam.

12. Henk

Henk Member

Did you have any other web servers installed eg apache and or db like progress?

Make sure that all the old 3cx processes are stopped before installation. Because a "web" server is installed as part of 3cx some virus scanners might not like it, try to disable them during the installation.

I installed 3CX on 2003sbs several times and found no problems, I even think that 2003sbs is the best platform for 3cx full stop. But that is personal.

H.

13. adza

Hi,

We have SVN installed on the server and Windows own IIS, but have no apache or MSSQL.

I have tried reinstalling again with antivirus, IIS, firewall, and any other service I considered non essential stopped, but we still have the same problem.

There are no old 3cx processes in the service resident to stop. (I uninstalled the previous version before installing the new version).

Best Regards

Adam.

14. Henk

Henk Member

This seems to be a similar error as seen in a post in april, that was an upgrade error.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/msi-upgrade-wizard-ended-prematurely-4939.html

Not sure if that one was resolved, i tried here in the lab but no joy.

H.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The technical support requesting here goes beyond that we can provide in the free peer-peer forums and would require finite trouble-shooting of your specific installation which we would normally do via our Support Portal at http://support.3cx.com .

We suggest that for a little amount of money we could give you this full support or provide you with feasible alternative solutions.

This can start from a Small Business Edition with 8 simultaneous calls and Support Contract going at Eur 375 + Eur 125 per year. We also recommend version upgrade insurance at Eur 99 per year. We can also propose larger licenses as you desire and you can eventually perform Edition Upgrades as your needs grow.

If you have any further queries about this or how to proceed, please contact sales@3cx.com .

16. asfuture

asfuture New Member

a good moving Keith. but i supposed that this is a generaly question thats needs a answer. also for those that are tryng the 3CX.

17. Henk

Henk Member

I tried to replicate the error, on sbs 2003 standard and premium, but no joy. I cannot get the same error, neither on fresh install or upgrade of 3cx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.