Installation problem v7.1.6589

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mrclassic, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrclassic

Wanted to upgrade my current V7 installation and first of all had to learn that I need to uninstall before being able to install 7.1 - a bit complicated, isn't it?

Anyway, while installing 7.1 I get this error message: "The 3CXPhoneSystem Configuration Service failed to install". Then another pop-up says: "There is a problem with this Windows Install Package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personal or package vendor"

What's wrong here? The installer exe I'm using I just downloaded from the 3CX website.

2. alexmallia

alexmallia New Member
    3CX Support

Does the Installation terminate abruptly?

If you have some antivirus running please disabling while installing.

Also check in the Event logs to see if you have any further errors on this.

regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mrclassic

Alex:

The installation just stopped close to the end. I'm not using any antivirus or similar tools on this server.

The error log is a bit more precise regarding the error:

----
    Product: 3CX PhoneSystem -- Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action StartDatabaseService.vbs script error -2146828218, Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied Line 15, Column 5
    ---

Also the installer wants to install and configure ASP.NET which I don't understand. I have chosen to use Cassani and not IIS.

4. mrclassic

Little addition: I installed back again V7.0 now. The installer also brought up the error Pop-Up however continued the installation and finished successfully. At least it looks like everything is running fine.

5. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Mrclassic,

Try Downloading the 3CX Installation Checker tool and remove and traces of 3CX on your PC.
    http://www.3cx.com/support/installation-checker.html

Hopefully this solves your problems.
    If it doesn't i can only suggest installing a new Version of Net Framework.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mrclassic

Thanks LeonidasG for the advice. Unfortunately I had no success, the Checker tool reports all cleared but reinstalling 7.1 still gives me the error.

What version of the Net Framework should I (re)install?

7. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Try installing NetFramework 3.5, it will Automatically do what's required.

But i'm guessing your OS might need some Updates from Microsoft, there were some cases where that was the problem.
    I'd suggest downloading a Service Pack Depending on which OS you have.
    For XP get SP3 or for Vista get SP1

For any Server Type OS's check Microsoft's website.
    But see if Net Framework Does the Trick.

8. mrclassic

Tried to reinstall Framework 3.5 but failed because it said it cannot be uninstalled because applications depend on it. I don't know what Windows is talking about. There is no other application installed. Well, what I did is install Framework 3.5 SP1. Besides that the system (Windows Server 2003 by the way) is up to date.

Looks like something is seriously screwed up here. I think uninstallation of 3CX did not work as clean as it should. I still have a "3CX PhoneSystem Database Server" entry in my services list (even though the 3CX Program folder is gone). Also the registry still shows a few entries. AND the 3CX Installation checker says all cleaned. Frustrating.

9. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If that's the case, try following these Guidelines manually.

http://www.3cx.com/support/installation-checker.html

It's gonna be frustrating but possibly the solution your problems if what you say is true.

10. mrclassic

I could manage to install 3CX by putting another installation path... Looks like some references were left somewhere however I could not find them using your manual guidelines.

11. mrclassic

To be more precise: I only manage to install V7.0 that way... 7.1. just does not work. It always aborts the installation with the error message I mentionned. It's really strange that 7.0 works. But it looks like I'm the only one with this problem...

12. ciscotech2007

Maybe something is incorrectly configured somewhere. Our advice.

note: this is not detailed process but a rough overview

(1) make a backup of your system via 3CX backup utility
    (2) remove 3CX server
    (3) use 3CX installation checker to ensure no 'pieces' of 3CX are still on your machine
    (4) we may even recommend resintalling IIS or Cassani web servers (whichever your using)
    (5) reinstall your selected web server (iis *OR cass. NOT both)
    (6) reinstall 3CX server, verify no errors during install
    (7) after 3CX server install, auto-run 3CX inital wizard will start
    (8) for FQDN insert the IP ADDRESS of your 3CX server, which should be static IP (not DHCP)
    *you can use FQDN if your internal network has internal DNS server w/ SRV records for SIP
    (9) choose (3) digit extensions
    (10) add ONLY 2 extensions, one for your 3CX VoIP softphone and 1 of your SIP hardphones. If would be better to use (2) computers each with their own softphone but some people don't have (2) computers.
    (11) configure all IP endpoints with SIP registration information (i.e. extension, ID, password, etc.)
    (12) ensure all extensions register in your 3CX extension status page (i.e. green light)
    (13) call from your (1) internal extension to the other internal extension, should have success, if you don't there is an issue
    (14) if no success, change 3CX server logging to verbose and post the log in this forum post. Remember to go to the log right AFTER your phone call fails.
    (15) if your call completes to the other internal phone extension you have verified the 3CX system works on a basic level
    (16) register an account with a 3CX RECOMMENDED AND VERIFIED VoIP trunk provider, like Broadvox, CallCentric and more.
    (17) follow the instructions for adding a VoIP provider here:
    http://www.3cx.com/manual/3CXPhoneSyste ... tem37.html
    (18) make sure the Add VoIP provider wizard sets up an OUTBOUND rule
    (19) make an 'easy' OUTBOUND rule... select '9' to the be ID for OUTBOUND CALLS. Meaning all calls beginning with '9' are to be forwarded to your VoIP provider
    (20) make sure the OUTBOUND rule strips the first digit after dialing out.. which is your '9'
    (21) check your dialplans (if any) and 3CX server logs and CONFIRM the OUTBOUND dialed number is correct.. if you only see '234' or '23444' something it wrong in your dialplan or OUTBOUND prepend or strips
    (21) CONFIRM with your VoIP provider what digits you must dial during OUTBOUND calls.. meaning.. some voip providers REQUIRE you to dial your destination area code even while dialing local numbers. Some require you to include a country code as well. So if you have a 1-123-456-7899 number from your voip provider, you may have to dial 9+1+XXX+XXX+XXXX even on local calls to the same area code as your number provided by your voip provider, in this case, '123'.

note: if taking the reinstall route, please download the latest 3CX server build and DO NOT INSTALL ANY ADDITIONAL MODULES UNTIL THE SYSTEM IS WORKING

note: apply your 3CX license, if you have one, right when the system startup wizard finishes are your system is finished installing and configuring itself for initial use and configuration by the 3CX admin (you).

note: CONFIRM your router has the ability for STATIC NAT MAPPING and/or use the 3CX firewall checker. but firewall checker requires disabling some 3CX services take note.

13. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I'm guessing you already have UAC Disabled, if not, you have to do it.

Another Piece of advice i can give you for this kind of Situation is to Run the 3CXPhoneSystem71.exe as an Administrator.
    Click on it and then Click : Run as Administrator

If the Second step doesnt Fix it, you can also try to install this.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

14. mrclassic

Thanks Leonidas... but as I said I'm using Windows 2003 Server. There is no UAC and I'm logged in with my Administrator account so I have full rights already. The link to Microsoft you quoted says "Windows Script 5.6 for Windows XP and Windows 2000" - I don't think that's what I need since I'm not using these OS.

Still I don't understand why it works with 7.0 but not 7.1 - there must be something different in the installation routines that fails on my system.

15. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I've Searched for any possible fixes for this problem, here are some guidelines i found from people with Similar problems.

Delete the Contents of your User's Temp folder and try to Re-Install 7.1

Or

Install
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&displaylang=en and try to Re-install 7.1

or

# Enter your computer in Safe Mode
    # Log on as the local administrator
    # Open up the command prompt by clicking Start, Run, and then typing cmd.exe and Ok
    # At the command prompt, first unregister the service by typing msiexec /unregister and then hitting Enter
    # Reregister the service by typing msiexec /regserver and then hitting Enter

or

Go to Start > Run > Regsvr32 wintrust.dll and press Enter. Might possibly not work due to the OS.

If you google your Error : There is a problem with this Windows Install Package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personal or package vendor

You will get quite a few results, but i myself couldnt find any 100% Fixes for it. The above are what i managed to scavenge from the many websites i opened.

16. mrclassic

Just wanted to give 3CX another chance... tried to install V8 this time. New server, fresh install of 2003 Web Edition SP2. No tools, no IIS, nothing else installed except .NET Framework 3.5 and all Win patches.

Cannot believe that again I'm getting this "Script required" error. How sensitive is this installer? How the hell anyone actually succeeded installing the product? I don't get it.

17. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

What's a 2003 Web Edition? Never heard of a 2003 Web Edition before...
    I cant be 100% sure at the moment but i think it's not in our Supported O/S list.

Do you have an XP Profession / 2003 SBS / 2008R2 / Windows 7 Installation sitting somewhere? If you do i'd try installing it on one of those OS's.
    You are really the only person having a problem like this at the moment :p

18. mrclassic

It's quite a common version mainly used to set up web servers. It's a regular Windows 2003 but with some restrictions regarding maximum memory and multiprocessing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758523%28WS.10%29.aspx

I had the same problems with a Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition on a different computer. Well, I might try with XP if I find somewhere an unused license lying around.

19. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

It's very weird to have the same problem on the same machine.

It could be anything from permission settings to some missing windows installer package, but i really cant comment on this problem, i only know you and 1 more guy who had a similar problem back in the initial releases of V7.
    You've propably tried this already but did you run the Installation as an Administrator?
    Be sure not to be running any other major application on the same machine.

Could you post a screenshot of the script error?

20. mrclassic

As I wrote: It's even a different machine. It's a fresh install of Win 2003, so no other application, tools or anything else running. Of course I tried to install as administrator.

The error message is just a plain gray message box saying: "The 3CXPhoneSystem Configuration Service failed to install". Then another pop-up says: "There is a problem with this Windows Install Package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personal or package vendor".

The event wiever is a bit more specific:

Product: 3CX PhoneSystem -- Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action StartDatabaseService.vbs script error -2146828218, Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied Line 15, Column 5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.