installation question - cannot connect to VOIP provider

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by smalley2, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smalley2

Hi community,

I'm new to SIP and 3CX, but I really like what I see so far.
    I have one question to a problem I can't figure out.

I am trying to configure my VOIP service.

I have added a new 'generic' VOIP provider called 'netstar'. I have entered all of the parameters one might expect in the various dialogs.

Unfortunately my system will not register with the provider. I have used the exact same parameters in the 3CX phone app, and they work perfectly there.

All the system log says is:

15:42:48.937 [CM504007]: Next attempt to register 10000@netstar is scheduled in 5 minute
    15:42:48.937 [CM504005]: Registration failed for: 10000@netstar; Cause: 404 Not found; from IP:206.193.221.32:5060
    15:42:48.812 [CM504003]: Sent registration request for 10000@netstar

Is there any other debug or logging data that will help me diagnose this? I've already turned on VERBOSE logging, but I don't seem to get any more logging output in the log.

I know that the provider is working because the 3CX phone app works fine.

thanks

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It looks like it can't connect to the IP in the log, could it be a firewall issue in the computer? Have you forwarded the necessary ports in your router to the 3CX PC? Does your SIP server trunk datafill have an IP or a location something like... sip.netstar.com,(or what ever it might be).

3. smalley2

Hi there, I've checked my firewall and router port configuration, all seems ok. I'm using only IP numbers for all of the settings.
    If I do a port test, i.e. telnet sip.netstar.com 5060 I can get a connection ok, so I think connectivity wise all is ok.

My VOIP provider unfortunately cannot debug this from their side, so I was hoping there is some more detailed logging I can see from the 3CX phone system that might give me a clue as to what is happening. The only help I could get is that '4o4' is the same as an HTML 404, i.e. not found. So the 3CX phone system is sending something that is incorrect to the VOIP provider.

The really odd part is that on the exact same server, I can successfully use the 3CX phone client to connect directly to the VOIP provider with no problem at all.

So I am really thinking this is an issue with the 3cx phone system not sending the right connection request etc.

Any thoughts on how I can see what the 3cx phone system is actually trying to do? I guess I could put a network sniffer on the line..

thanks

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Wireshark, or something like it would give you everything and may point you in the right direction. Can you ping that IP from the PC running 3CX?

5. smalley2

Hi there, yes I suppose I'll have to try wireshark. I can ping and everything no problem to the host.

The issue must be that the 3cx is not sending the correct login information in the right format or something.

I will have to try another PBX software now, I have spent too much time trying to debug something so simple.

Too bad, 3cx looks cool, but without appropriate tools, it's not going to work for us.

I really don't understand how it could be failing on something so simple.

thanks for your help.

6. kevinf

Hello;

You said you were able to connect with the 3CX Phone just fine. Is that on the same network?

From the 3CX Server, can you telnet to the IP that you are attempting to connect to on port 5060?

Start
    Run
    Telnet 206.193.221.32 5060

If you receive a blinking cursor then your able to connect and a wireshark capture should explain where the problem lies. If the telnet window only displays "Connecting To 206.193.221.32..." and nothing more, then something is blocking the connection out on 5060.

Kevin Fortune
    Deerfield.com

7. smalley2

Hi Kevin,

I can telnet to port 5060 just fine.

The 3cx phone client works perfectly on the exact same computer where I am trying to get the 3CX phone system to work.

The phone client also works fine on any other computer I have.

Is there anyway other than using a packet sniffing tool to determine what these two softwares are doing differently?

Obviously if the remote SIP provider is returning a '404' error, then something the phone system is sending is incorrect, or at least different than what the phone client is sending.

Even the smallest big of logging from the phone system's interaction with the SIP provider would be helpful.

8. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

You registration request has reached VoIP provider, but was rejected, because VoIP provider can not identify your account based on info in REGISTER message. Usually, user part of From: header should contain some SIP ID (Authentication ID) assigned to you by provider. Or, in case of SIP trunks, it often checks IP:port provided in Contact header and looks for it in their database. If it is not found - registration is rejected. So, looking at your REGISTER message you can find out what is wrong and try to fix it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. smalley2

Hi Archie, is there any way I can see exactly what the 3cx is sending?
    I am fairly certain all of my parameters are correct, as I am using the same params that I use in the software client, which work fine there. Of course I am sure to not have the sw client and the pbx on at the same time.

Thanks

10. mhanson

mhanson New Member

Back to the Wireshark. You will be able to capture the exact packet sent to your provider. You can then view the entire register string, present it to your provider, and they should be able to tell you what is in the wrong place. From there, it is just changing your settings in 3CX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Easiest way to see is to install and run Wireshark or other sniffer and make capture of SIP traffic and see.
    Or, you can set verbose logging and see through 3CXPhoneSystem.trace.log file

12. smalley2

HI all, I finally figured out how to work Wireshark, and I've found out the following by observing the 3CX phone system and the 3CX phone client.

The phone client constructs a SIP Register packet and sends it to my provider.
    The provider replies with a 401 unauthorized, however there is a field in the providers response called "WWW-Authenticate", it looks like this:

WWW-Authenticate: Digest algorithm=MD5,nonce="01772ea0",realm="Taqua-T7000"

The phone client then immediate responds with another SIP Register packet, which now contains what appears to be a direct response to the providers previous unauthorized packet:
    WWW-Authenticate: Digest algorithm=MD5,nonce="01772ea0",realm="Taqua-T7000"

Right after that, the SIP provider responds with a SIP 200, and we are now registered, and I can place calls. GREAT!

So, I used exactly the same parameters in the 3CX phone system, and observed the phone system sending exactly the same 1st registration attempt packet as the phone client.

As expected the SIP provider responded with their 'unauthorized' and the "WWW-Authenticate: Digest algorithm=MD5,nonce="01772ea0",realm="Taqua-T7000"" data in the packet.

Then, the 3CX phone system DID NOT attempt to register again, with the "WWW-Authenticate" stuff as the phone client did.
    The phone system just repeats the original registration request over and over and over.

In summary, it appears the issue is that the phone system does detect the providers response and reply with the right packet.

I have wireshark capture files I could send you which illustrate what is happening pretty clearly. I tried this with two different SIP providers and got similar results.

Any ideas or settings I need to set to make the phone system reply properly?

Thanks!

13. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Yes, please, send wireshark captures to my e-mail: arthur (at) 3cx.com

14. fmguima

Hi there.

I'm newbie here and in SIP world and have exactaly the same problem. I'm using Xeloq as VoIP provider that is recommend by 3CX and supose to be automaticaly configured. I can't go so deep in the problem but understand what you are saying.

I think this is a simple problem, how Smille2 sayd and of cours is a problem of 3CX system.

Excuse me my english I'm from Brasil and I've tried the brazilian representativ today but no answer at all.

Thank you for your help,

15. fmguima

Excuse me Smalley2, i wrote Smille2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.