Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

installing 3CX 10 issue on Windows Server 2003 (SBS)

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by advanced21, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. advanced21

While the installer is almost finished and the installation status is
    I got an error:
    There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.
    A script required for this install to complete could not be run.
    Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

See the attachement for a screenshot.

Attached Files:

2. netswork

netswork Active Member

Im not sure what is causing your problems but I would recomend not installing 3cx on SBS. SBS is bloated with stuff you dont want on your phone system.

Use a streamlined, low cost, system like windows server web edition. If your just using this for testing install it on a XP or windows 7 PC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mylove4life

mylove4life New Member

I can relate to that, we installed on a file server to start and every once in a while it would drop packets. Took a file to figure out it was just the server sharing files and a printer, and this was a big server too, not some cheap junk...

4. juluis

Hi, i get the same installation problem on winxpsp3

can you solved??

5. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The problem here is that at that point a script is running to create the initial configuration of the database.

This is showing me that there is a problem with windows scripting on the affected computers. It makes sense since the affected machines are 2003 and xp based.

I would not replace the machines or OS - maybe too much hassle. However you cannot blame the installer because it depends on the windows script engine on Windows OS.

I would try and upgrade windows installer version on your computer to the latest version.
    I would try and give full windows updates
    I would update windows script version example in this microsoft guide http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949140

If all this fail go to %temp% and locate the installation log file of 3CX. There will not be much information about the error but could help us find a solution.

Definitely something is wrong on the OS however so make sure your troubleshooting efforts go in that area.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. brandnewbie

I had to share this! I am TOTALLY new to 3CX and I was running into the same issue 0juluis was having. After much looking around, I downloaded Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) since I was installing on a XP box with SP3. After the install, the 3CX installation completed without an issue! Hope it works for you!

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5638

7. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

I have installed and keep on running 3CX V10SP5 on both SBS 2003 and XP SP3 without any issues, of course you need to have enough memory (2 GB). Have you installed successfully .NET 4 framework before installing 3CX (I've upgraded from .NET 3.5) ?

However, I would recommend running 3CX server on 2008R2 Foundation in production environment.

Regards

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Yes .. Thank you all for your updates.

I also recommend that if you want to have a trouble free system, you also run 3CX on a modern operating system. May I remind you guys that Server 2003 is soon having its 10 year old Birthday. This becomes a DECADE old OS.

3CX uses latest .NET stuff and depends heavily on it. There can be an windows update problem, another application that installed or modified some scripts, a missing update, An installation installed before another - perfect case is installing .net 4 before 3.5 - This creates a mess on the system.

3CX Phone System will work on any operating system from XP upwards. The question is that for old OS's the computer has to be clean. When you have these doubts, start a VM, clean with full updates and install 3CX On it.You will see that these problems will not occur.

9. maxim

I had exactly the same problem installing V.10 on 2003 SE. In my case problem was related to .NET framework.
    I installed .NET 4 on a clean system and that caused 3CX setup fail at the same point as on your screenshot.
    I don't remember what exactly I found in install log but that led me to .NET somehow.
    Solution is: remove .NET 4 from the system and allow 3CX installer application download and install it as part of 3CX installation process.

Tried 2 times, reproducible.

--
    Max

10. danhriscanu

danhriscanu New Member

Hi maxim,

Can you tell us the exact steps to reproduce that error? When it fails can you check the Event Viewer and see what errors do you have there and post them here? If you install .NET 4.0 from Microsoft it shouldn't be any problem.

11. lgnch

After having the same issue, I have found that you need c++ redistributable packages for 2005, 2008 and 2010. These must be installed and all updates run, via windows update and .net 3.5 and 4.0, before 3CX will work properly. The issue is on all Windows OS versions not just 2003.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.