Installing backup to ftp: beware of existing files !!

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by coertvc, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coertvc

Hi guys,

fyi, I just had a very unpleasant experience setting up Backup to an ftp location from the Debian 3cx v15. when you use an existing and used/filled location, it will delete ALL the content in that location before starting a new backup. in my case it deleted 25GB of stored recordings with out any warning.

I will leave my opinion about this experience outside this post as you can all very well imagine.....

regards,

Coert

2. Sopock

Sopock Member

That is something new. Previously on other OS:
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/security-encryption-required-backup.46573/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @coertvc

What ftp server are you using to create your backup?
    Just tested your scenario with filezilla and it did not delete the existing backups. It presented me with an error when storage was full and the backup did not finish.
    Can you please explain your configuration so i can run further tests?
    Do you have scheduled backup and restore for example?

4. coertvc

You are correct, those 3cx-v15 backups will remain, but everything else will be deleted, so in my case the export of all recordings of my 3CX v12 of the last 4 years went to this Qnap FTP service as well (saved in an open file structure, not zip) and those got deleted.

5. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I tried replicating your scenario but no luck. I created backups which are .zip and folders with recordings inside ( not zip). I also threw some recording in the folder without a folder. when my ftp location reached max capacity then i got an error from ftp server and nothing was deleted.
    the only thing that happened is that the last backup was corrupted because there was no disk space to be created. Does your ftp software have the right to override or delete files?

6. coertvc

This is very strange that you are not able to replicate. the FTp service is that of the QNAP NAS, the user has full rights to write and delete and no encryption applied. the share is accessible both via SMB as well as FTP. (reason that the 3CX v12 is windows based and recordings are copied using script)

I will do an effort to replicate again and try to record if possible. give me a few days

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.