• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

installing via apt is no longer supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreybrett81

Free User
Reaction score
I've noticed that the installation documentation has been recently updated to use only the 3CX ISO, or the PBX Express. Does that mean installing via apt is no longer supported? If not, where are those instructions listed now?

Hello @coreybrett81

Please note that you can still install the system via apt-get but you will need to manage the OS on your own, so we do advise using the provided iso and following the latest instructions for installing and configuring the system.
You can find the previous instructions in the link below.
https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/installing-debian-linux-pbx/

Would you be able to elaborate on what you mean by "manage the OS on your own"?

Well, be responsible for troubleshooting any issues connecting to the network and importantly performing upgrades say from Debian 8 to 9. If you stick with the 3CX version of Debian - which is Debian but optimized for 3CX, not only will you reduce memory usage considerably but you will also be able to do version upgrades and security updates automatically from the 3CX management console or on auto pilot. Going with your own version of Debian is possible but requires you to do these tasks yourself and you must be comfortable and experienced in Debian Linux to do them. Most people are not.

For example, SP3 will include the option to upgrade users running Debian 8 (15, 15.5 SP1) automatically to Debian 9 with the click of a button (providing no additional packages have been installed)

We therefore recommend using the 3CX iso and dedicate it to 3CX.

I have a system that was setup using the original Debian install instructions about a year ago. Can I get those benefits with it, or will I need to re-install using the 3CX ISO?

Please note that as the feature is still under development the exact parameters of how this will work are still unknown. When SP3 will be closer to release we will know more about this feature and how it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.