Integrate 3CX with Siemens HiPath 3550

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by drewie, Sep 4, 2007.

1. drewie

Hi there,

Firstly well done to 3CX for providing an excellent looking and *FREE* SIP solution.

I am a complete newbie to the site and am not entirely 'au fait' with SIP technology, or even IP telephony for that matter.

My enquiry is whether you can integrate the 3CX software with a Siemens HiPath 3550 (with VOIP card installed)

I am fully aware that the 3CX product can do all that a HiPath can do (and more) but I have a requirement where running both together would be excellent.

Is this possible?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

2. nickybrg

nickybrg Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Basically you have a situation where you are trying to set up a PBX to connect with another hardware PBX - 3cx to Siemens. You can make the 3CX PBX register to the Siemens as if it were a Trunk Line due to 3CX 's noted flexibility. Its an Idea. It may not work. But you can use the same concept thinking. If the siemens works with SIP and complies with the rfc standard it may work but you are greatly complicating things here. What is the reason exactly that you need the siemens and the 3cx both live and both PBX's connected togther? I am asking you this for information purposes only.

3. drewie

Hi nickybrg,

Thanks very much for your timely response.

I feel my question is probably somewhat vague, please allow me to elaborate.

As it stands now, we have invested a large amount of money in a Siemens PBX system with digital handsets. The idea of moving over to IP telephony is becoming increasingly tempting but we are rather held down by our investment.

There is also a possibility of running communciations on two sites at the same time. As we already have the infostructure on one site (with Siemens PBX) it would seem natural to leave that in place for now and integrate it with a new system on the other site.

I suppose the first real question would be whether you can provide an off-net dial-up connection to and from the 3CX PBX from the Siemens PBX. And if so, would this connection be provided through PSTN or SIP trunk? (or could it be either?)
    The second would be could you seamlessly dial an extension from a 3CX phone to a Siemans phone and vice versa?

I'm not sure if this highlights the situation we are in...

My extended gratitude for your response.

Thanks,

Sam

4. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Sam,

3CX PBX provides ability to integrate devices that is using SIP as signaling protocol, it doesn't support any other type of signaling. If other PBX can play client role (like a PSTN gateway or SIP phone) and will use 3CX PBX as VoIP provider than it will work without any problems. Integration 3CX PBX with devices (software) that is trying to be a "SIP proxy" will cause some difficulties with configuration of PBX, success depends on flexibility of device configuration but, in general, it also possible. Your case if very specific, and it is not possible to answer your question at once because too many things depend on device capabilities (and 3CX PBX as well :) )

Regards