Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Implemented Intelligent phone template override system

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by iptechnology, Mar 2, 2017.

Implemented Intelligent phone template override system 5 5 74votes
5/5, 74 votes

?

Which phone config options would you like to see configurable from the management console?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2017.
  1. Default Transfer Type (Blind / Attended)

60 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Select Default Ring Tones

67 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Clock 12/24 hours

47 vote(s)
    32.2%
  4. VLAN options - ID, Priority, Disable LLDP

55 vote(s)
    37.7%
  5. Backlight Brightness and Time

27 vote(s)
    18.5%
  6. Much Smaller, non flashing 3CX Logo

38 vote(s)
    26.0%
  7. Company AND Personal phonebook

48 vote(s)
    32.9%
  8. Ability to set Global changes for all phones

103 vote(s)
    70.5%
  9. Screensaver wait time

18 vote(s)
    12.3%
  10. Set Default BLF values for extensions

72 vote(s)
    49.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. iptechnology

Please, give us a "linux style" intelligent phone template override system.
    I try to explain it with an example:

- Yealink Phone with default template
    Every customer want a different DSS Transfer type or ringtone, it means 2 lines config changes.

Now we have to duplicate the base template, edit it and apply the changes. If you update the base template, we have to find out the changes we previously made, duplicate the updated template, re-edit and apply it.

It takes long time and can create problems while it should take 2 minutes working.

My idea for simple changes like the one above, is to put them in a SEPARATE file that is pharsed AFTER the base one and it overrides the single changed values.
    Config files of Linux service like apache works natively as described.

override file example:
    ------- yealink.override1----------
    #Define the way of DSS key when configuring as a transfer key; 0-Display Number, 1-Attended Transfer, 2-Blind Transfer (default);
    transfer.dsskey_deal_type = 1
    distinctive_ring_tones.alert_info.2.ringer = 2
    distinctive_ring_tones.alert_info.3.ringer = 2
    distinctive_ring_tones.alert_info.4.ringer = 2
    ----------------------------------------

Thanks
    Alessandro Coelli
    IP Technology srl
    www.iptechnology.it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. iptechnology

little UP..

Any other comments?

Thanks
    Alessandro

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

This idea is amazing and could completely remove the necessity to modify the 3CX templates. You simply put the changes you want in your override files and select the appropriate override for each phone.

So additional selection over-rides I can think of include:
    Multicast paging - different override file for each zone
    Some customers like four linekeys instead of two on reception phones

wcoggins likes this.
  4. PaulD

Excellent suggestion.

5. narkumas

narkumas New Member

Yes, I do support this!

6. Nathan Boyd

Brilliant idea!

7. iptechnology

Nick or someone from 3cx, could you give us a feedback to this idea?
    thanks

8. wcoggins

YES!! Some way to easily create a customizable template that will KEEP THE END USER HAPPY. The more End Users that are happy with the product, the easier it is to sell to new clients. There are a number of products out there that will make telephone calls and operate meetings, 3CX is supposed to be better.
    I want 3CX to be a product that stands out as a product that the End User likes to use.
    The Daily End User wants a phone that works for them,

Presently, even putting in BLF Keys is a time consuming nightmare.

9. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

While we are at it - can we allow a BLF for Paging so I do not need to create a template just for that change?

countrycomp likes this.
  10. tvdir

Great idea!
    Changing the BLF transfer type is the only change we need to do in the Yealink templates for almost every customer. Too bad this causes an unsupported setup :(

11. iptechnology

someone in 3cx could confirm that read this request had been read and comment it?
    Thanks
    Alessandro

12. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

We have read it :) After 15.5 we plan to spend some time on making templates more customisable, that is to say, include the top features that people want to configure from the console, so as to avoid custom templates as much as possible. Still we will review your suggestions of course.

So my request to all people following this thread, let us know which options you would like to have configurable from the web interface. So far we have

Ring tones
    Backlight on/off
    Multicast paging

Let us know the features you want to be able to configure from the console so as to avoid having to make custom templates!

coreybrett81 likes this.
  13. jed

jed New Member

Hi

It would be a great help if we would be able to add several accounts / extensions on the same phone. It is a very big job to change the templete to accomplish this, as it involves adding accounts and change the BLF Keys to each account.

We use this where the operator has to be able to select the "most important" line to pickup on a Yealink phone.

Thank you
    /Jesper

14. narkumas

narkumas New Member

My option wishes:
    -Time Server settings
    -custom key settings (i.E: Snom-Key)
    -Usually the first BLF keys are wasted by "line", "headset" or "identity". An option to free those BLF Keys would be great.

countrycomp, dab and sersis01 like this.
  15. tvdir

Our whishlist:
    - DSS keys Yealink: choose between blind and attended transfer
    - Background image
    - Add Dutch for Yealink X.X.188.X firmware (and please add it as supported firmware so the red "not supported" isn't shown anymore)
    - Screensaver images and options for Yealink

jeroendebruijn and countrycomp like this.
  16. tratz

tratz New Member

Nick:

My two cents
    • Date display military time vs am/pm display
    • Ability to put in special characters for pausing speed dials (both Yealink which uses enhanced dss keys and fanvil which has a pause character, support pauses. We have had a lot of requests for executives that call conference bridges to put in the entire thing especially on a weekly bridge where the pin code and meeting numbers are the same
    • Ability to add in multiple address books from multiple 3cx installations (or have the ability of 3cx to read in the address books of PBXs that are bridged together).
    Having 3cx for over a year, i do not know how you would not have customized templates. There is a lot of functionality in the phones that are not shown through the management console and since 3cx supports a lot of phones, i think it would be very difficult to put in pages for every phone for every setting that customers would want to make. On top of that working with the limitations of the phones themselves would be something that is difficult case in point with the address book. We have Fanvil X5Gs and Yealink T4X. With the yealink the template uses the remote phonebook functionality of the phone and will periodically download the address book from the 3cx server. With the Fanvil, phone gets the address book once when provisioned (via template) and is stored in the contacts of the phone. That contact list never gets updated by the server unless we manually reprovision the phones. Looking at the website, i found that Fanvil has something called a cloud phonebook which takes the same information albeit a slightly different xml format. After writing a script to convert the address book xml file, the fanvils now work like the yealinks and download the file to be searched. I did add that functionality to the Fanvil template, and yes i know that makes the configuration unsupported but it also appeased my 300+ user base who has fanvil phones.

--Tracy

tvdir likes this.
  17. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

Overwrite the first three keys on phones which is normally the extension number - on all phones. especially yealink. Maybe add linekeys as part of blf keys setup, then we can select / configure all the keys

Option to turn off 3cx logo on phones

Add multiple accounts,

Overwrite ring tones, - on yealink the ring tone is one sound for queues - we change it

Already mentioned, all override settings need to be done at extension level, and the option to select more than one extension and change the settings as a group

#17 Saqqara, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    kybt, countrycomp and teldata1 like this.
  18. Jazz Oberoi

Excellent suggestion.

Along with common options configured via console, it would also make sense to have the config file over ride as per the first post giving users the best of both the worlds :)

countrycomp and teldata1 like this.
  19. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

Your idea is great Nick for per-user changes. Here are a few more:

-Live Dialpad on/off
    -Default Transfer type attended/blind

This won't solve the issue of changing templates for global changes required for a site (vlan, screensaver timing, backlight timing, backlight intensity, 12/24 hour time, bw.feature_key_syn=off, etc.) but would drastically reduce the need for multiple custom templates which is great!

Nick Galea likes this.
  20. jem1

It would be nice to see items like VLAN as well configurable from here.

Missed call / Call history enable and disable, this is for phones deployed in entry ways where they have a screen on them.

TSlocum and dab like this.