• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

inter-AP handovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanjer

Reaction score
We are testing an android with the 3cx app. In our Wifi enviroment we use mutliple access points. During roaming from one to an other ap the voiceconnection is lost. the signal is dropping below the value for a good handover.
Is there a possibility to tune some values voor roaming.
for example -65 dBm will cause the phone to scan for alternate Wireless APs more often, which will result in more wireless
traffic and slightly decreased battery life. A smaller value, for example -75 dBm will cause the phone to roam too late, causing voice or connection interruptions during roaming.

If you are using WiFi you will get drops between access points. This is the big drawback to using WiFi in a large location. There are WiFi solutions out there that allow for roaming between access points but they are fairly expensive. You typical Cisco,Linksys,D-Link, etc will not hand off a call properly between AP's.

We Have the "expensive" solution. We already use our wifi for voice purposes. Other WLAn voice devices are working well between APs.
For example the sipdroid app does not disconnect, but audio is out for a few seconds. The 3cx app droppes audio as well as the wifi connection.
However the 3cx app is working much better regarding to call transfers and audio quality. So, hope there is an solution for the handovers

Hi,

This isn't something we have tested.
We will keep it in mind for a future release but this isn't something likely to be fixed / implemented any time soon as we are currently focusing on more "General" issues rather than features such as Inter-AP Handovers.

I believe I've discovered the root of this issue. I too am attempting to use 3CX on our SIP/VoiP system, and while it works pretty well sitting in one spot, it will almost always drop when a handoff between AP's is performed. I believe this has to do with the WiFi/Radio firmware. It simply hangs onto the current connection until it is too weak. If someone could write firmware that would associate with a new AP prior to dropping the old connection, then I think this would work beautifully. I believe this type of driver/firmware is used in dedicated Voip WiFi phones. Any software geniuses out there wanna take a crack at this?

i havent used any WiFi phones that will handover properly. This seems to require a communication with the AP's and is not simply a software issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.