Intercom Application: Video from IP camera + SIP audio

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by drc, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drc

drc

I am implementing a video door phone / intercom unit by Holovision which operates as essentially two devices - a standalone IP camera (KT&C HDi47, Specs: http://www.ktncusa.com/_media/_documents/USER_GUIDE/ACE-HDi47.pdf) and a standalone SIP audio device (Holovision VIO, based on a Barix Annuncicom 200, Specs: http://www.barix.com/fileadmin/data/sheets/Annuncicom/Barix_Product_sheet_Annuncicom_200_32.pdf).

Both audio and video data are delivered from the Holovision unit via a single ethernet (PoE) cable, as there is an ethernet switch integrated in the Holovision unit - but they operate on two separate IP addresses. I am using my 3CX PBX server to route the SIP calls between my softphone (Bria) and the Holovision unit, which is working great for audio - but there is no video stream, as the IP camera operates on a different IP address separate from the SIP audio device. Separately, video streaming is working just fine when I direct a web browser to the camera's IP address, and the camera supports RTP.

My question is: How do I set up the PBX / softphone to be able to view video from the IP camera while taking the SIP call?

The intended functionality is as follows: press the button on the intercom, which triggers a call to the softphone (already working audio only) -- but when the call is coming through, it shows the video on the screen before answering. When answered, it continues to show video and ends the video stream when the call is complete.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

On the surface it seems that you have two different devices that have wholly different functions (one for video and another for audio using SIP) and the hope is that you can combine the two functions at the receiving device. I do not know of a way to do this other than using the 3CX softphone on your computer and then starting the IP camera network viewer application independently so as to see the video. Similarly, you might be able to do the same with a cell phone running 3CX and an app viewer that is compatible with your camera.

The issue is that the devices operate independently of one another and, in the case of the camera, uses an ActiveX plug-in at the browser level to allow for audio viewing.

Being that each device has its own IP would require the receiving device to take the RTP streams from both and then somehow merge them together so that the call from one would then automatically bring in the video stream from the other.

Others may have a solution for you, but my take is that using a SIP enabled door video phone is the better way of accommodating. There are a number of models out there that do exactly what you want out of the box.

3. lneblett

On the surface it seems that you have two different devices that have wholly different functions (one for video and another for audio using SIP) and the hope is that you can combine the two functions at the receiving device. I do not know of a way to do this other than using the 3CX softphone on your computer and then starting the IP camera network viewer application independently so as to see the video. Similarly, you might be able to do the same with a cell phone running 3CX and an app viewer that is compatible with your camera.

The issue is that the devices operate independently of one another and, in the case of the camera, uses an ActiveX plug-in at the browser level to allow for audio viewing.

Being that each device has its own IP would require the receiving device to take the RTP streams from both and then somehow merge them together so that the call from one would then automatically bring in the video stream from the other.

Others may have a solution for you, but my take is that using a SIP enabled door video phone is the better way of accommodating. There are a number of models out there that do exactly what you want out of the box.

4. drc

drc

Ineblett, thanks for your reply. I am checking with the Holovision team to confirm whether the devices are truly operating independently or if the VIO module is somehow integrating the camera feed into the SIP / RTP data stream. Separately, I came across the attached video which makes it seem they have found a way to do this with one app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7nlXNkOVmk

It looks like the app (and a hardware module on the board in the back) is branded as "Flamingo" and is running on android. I haven't been able to find any information on that device or app, but continue to look for this. In my ideal world, the VIO module would integrate the video and audio into one SIP stream, but I would still be able to access the camera directly as a standalone IP camera.

5. lneblett

There are several IP camera manufacturers that have SIP embedded. GS is one such manufacturer that has a variety of cameras at modest cost. In these instances, you can set the camera up to look at one or more areas that you program into the camera where you want the camera to specifically monitor. When the camera detects motion in these areas, it can automatically dial you. You can still view the camera independently of the audio or alarm as it is a surveillance type of camera, but it requires a viewer app or a browser with an ActiveX plug-in. They may also have an alarm input by which you might be able to hook-up the doorbell and trigger the camera to then dial and avoid he issues associated to motion detection. They also usually will have connections to support speakers and microphones...but as always do the research as there are many out there.

I saw the video and it does appear that they may be on to something, but they do not give enough info to really know. They show and app on a cell phone and then at the beginning they show some other device that seemingly plays a part.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.