Intercom button

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ikonectu, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ikonectu

Are there any plans to develop intercom functionality via the intercom key that is on so many ip phones? The my phone app works nicely however, many clients are requesting the ability to press intercom key followed by the desired extension rather than using myphone.

It would be a huge plus if they could press intercom and the BLF of the desired extension.

2. kevin

kevin Member

@ikonectu

For 3CX Phone System, the "Intercom" prefix is *9, but this is only available on the Commercial editions of 3CX Phone System. You dial *9107 if you with to make an "intercom call" to Ext.107.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ikonectu

Kevin,
    I understand that dialing *9 followed by extension number will intercom call that extension.
    I know it seems silly but, I have clients that want (for whatever reason) a physical/virtual intercom button that can be pressed to activate the intercom feature; they want to then dial the extension or press the blf key of the desired extension.

Are there no other customers out there expressing want for this, or am I just the lucky one? :D

BTW - I don't install anything but commercial editions of 3CX. I like your product and the energy 3CX puts into making it what it is. The cost is minimal for the value received.

If customers want free they can do it themselves. You get what you pay for.

thanks
    gary

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I like this idea. With my Yealinks, I do not have an Intercom button, but could do BLF's with Prefix or a Softbutton with Prefix. Along the same idea... I would expect that the phones could be programmed what the Intercom button does... This wouldn't be a 3cx issue but a Phone Vendor issue.

What phones are you using?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ikonectu

I'm using Grandstream primarily but do have Yealink sets. The GXP2100 has a intercom button . It's a bit uncomfortable telling my customer that yes, 3CX does support intercom dialing but not via the button ,marked intercom on your phone. They give me the WTH look.

6. alexmallia

alexmallia New Member
    3CX Support

Hi there,

craigreilly is correct, this is a phone based functionality which would have to be implemented by the manufacturer directly and further tested with 3CX. Having said that, from the 3CX Management Console-> Extensions-> *Select extension*-> Phone Provisioning, set the BLF type to Custom speed dial and the action to *9EXT as previously elaborated by Kevin.

7. ikonectu

Thanks.
    I'll consider this a "dead" issue and instruct my clients to manually dial *9ext# or use myphone (which is what I've been doing). Adding custom speed dials in addition to BLF's is not a reasonable option.

8. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I do not recall if Yealink can set a BLF as a Prefix? So make i BLF dial *9 only and wait for the extension to finish the intercom.

We actually turned off intercom auto-answer because of some security problems with users dialing an intercom with no one in the office and hanging out waiting to hear a conversation, ie: the CEO's office.

9. ikonectu

I did try that on yealink and grandstream phones. The call failed each time.

I'm starting to feel this feature is not worth the energy I have already put into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.