Intercom Feature

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by weaver4, May 21, 2007.

1. weaver4

I would like to have one phone call 8 phones in our office. Have them automatically go off hook and open their speakers. This would be for a intercom feature.

Does 3CX support this? I think asterisk does.

I tried using a call group, but it appears that the first phone to answer is the one that gets the audio connection. Do I have an option set up incorrectly?

2. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

We can not pick up a phone for you :) And, I believe, neither Asterisk does.
    Currently, we don't have a group which allows you to have more than one phone to pick up a call. But we'll have it after implementing conference call. It is one of the ways to establish conference call.
    Anyway, there's no SIP functionality to force any phone to answer the call without human interaction, so ...

3. weaver4

We are building a custom product so we do have the capability to send a message (via TCP/IP on another port) to tell it to pick up automatically.

So it will work once you get your conference call feature working? When will that be?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That will be an interesting little project.

To do that I suggest you take control of the design and development end2end instead of using an IP-PBX to control that.

Your app should be a plug-in into a IP-PBX not the otherway arround.

Conf. call will not help you either I think as you will have the problem of finding out which pone is not connected and which one is.

Appart from that, if you enable my phone (being an extension) and I have it routed to my mobile how do you deal with that?

Exactly you want to control the termination point, not the B-party of a call route (which is can or cannot be the termination point of the call).

So why do you need a IP-PBX for that?"

5. Borsoock

Borsoock New Member

Hi
    I'd like to add something to this topic. There are SIP enabled network security cameras already on the market (from Leadtek and Vivotek) . It would be really cool to be able to integrate them with pbx system and use as intercoms.

Thanks

Marcin

6. weaver4

itfarmer: A lot of what the product does is phone related, so that is why we are using the SIP protocol. In addition we have many things that SIP does not do and for those things we have developed our own protocol that does not rely on SIP at all and it goes over a seperate port.

This broadcast to many phones thing has got us stumped (using 3cx), seems like it would be a common thing in an office where you would want to give intercom messages.

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

How do you plan to wakeup Granstream GXP2000 or other hardware phones to receive intercom call using your own protocol?

Stepan

P.S. Anyway, it is interesting feature...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can you set it up as a group?

Eg you can send an invite (2002) to a group this makes all the phones ring. So what about a RTP (4000)? would that work.

I think you should get on the email with one of the teco's to sort this out I can see why this could be an interesting feature.

Just had a look at the companies Borsoock suggested and I must say can't wait till xmass. :) so many toys so little time. Yep allowing to hook other than phones up to 3CX now that is what i really can see as a nice to have :).

9. paragondie

show stopper

This intercom thing has become a real show stopper for us here. As others have mentioned, Asterisk based systems have this capability and some pre-packaged interfaces state that they do this out of the box so I'm not sure why 3cx doesn't see the need.

10. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

We are looking into the intercom feature. Definitely it will be possible for us to ring all phones and allow the initiator of the intercom to speak to all phones that have picked up the phone. Forcing it to pick up the phone is something I am not sure is possible.

Borsook: We will look into the security cameras that are SIp capable. Do they have a speaker function? That can be driven using SIP

11. Borsoock

Borsoock New Member

Yes these cameras have internal mics, audio in and output for external speaker. I've tested Leadtek NCS 3615 http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/video_surveillance/overview.asp?lineid=10&pronameid=281 but unfortunately it won't register in pbx. I didn't spend too much time investigating why because I'm not satisfied with video quality anyway. There is another advanced camera from Vivotek IP 7138 http://www.vivotek.com/products_ip7138.htm which has outstanding video quality and SIP support will be implemented in next fw version. I think two way audio will be implemented in more security cameras soon. In my opinion its worth to remember about this integration opportunity.

Thanks

Marcin

12. bela

I beleive the Epygi PBX has the intercom feature, but it only works with certain IP phones...
    And the phone "auto-answers"

Bela