Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Intercom System

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Jgrathwohl, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jgrathwohl

Before migrating to VOIP, our business has a PA Speaker plugged into an analog phone down at the warehouse dock.
    They would use the phone intercom button to speak to the loud speaker via their phones to the warehouse workers.
    I am being asked if a similar solution can be put in place? What would i need to get that going. The current phone and speaker are still in place down there.

Is there a better solution you can suggest as well?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the current speaker (system?), is currently plugged into an analogue phone line, that, when called, allows the caller to access the paging system, then the same function can be accomplished plugging into an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) on VoIP.
    I'm not sure how the "intercom button" comes into play. You will have to provide additional information.

3. Jgrathwohl

I got intercom functioning with the grandstreams and 3cx for internal office on the IP phones, i suppose the ATA would just need an Auto Answer allow paging/intercom function like the Grandstreams and then the 3cx would handle the rest i'd hope? Anyone have an ATA they could log into and check for the intercom functionality?

4. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

You should only have to register an ata and select auto answer in the webgui of that deivce. When you dial the ata's extension it should automatically connect the call to the paging systetm, and it should also connect if you add it to the paging ring group of internal paging as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The alternative, might be a suggestion that was put forward a few years ago. Someone (I think they even posted photos), took an IP phone, opened it up and added a, external headphone jack that was bridged to the speaker. That was then plugged into the amp for the paging system.

6. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Your Intercom (PA) system may plug into an rj11 JACK (ANALOG LINE) but some will only work with FXO adapters and NOT FXS, You need to find the manual for that device and check to see if you need to reconfigure jumpers.dip switches. More info needed to provide better advice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. netelligence

If you are open into setting up a new intercom system, I just put in 8 Valcom horns for a large furniture manufacturing factory/warehouse. They run on SIP, can be used outdoors, are very loud, and have been great. Not cheap, a little goofy to setup, but effective.

Netelligence.

8. bardissi

bardissi Member

Take a look at the Snom PA1 paging adapters. Have worked very well especially with pre-existing paging systems.

You plug the paging system cables into the PA1 (has sports for RJ11, 3mm, etc) and then this device connects to the phone system as an extension. Then all you need to do is call the extension and it will trigger the overhead speakers!

9. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

@Bardissi, I think that it would be best to first find out what PA system he has first, just in case he has a 75V system... The PA1 would be a waste if he can get around it with a $23.00 FXS adapter and no other major rewiring...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.