Intermittent audio

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Mark Houser, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Houser

At some point we began experiencing blank voice messages, no music on hold and no recording beep tone. Also occasionally incoming calls come in without audio, i.e., they can hear me but I cannot hear them. All of this occurs on a random basis but is happening more frequently. I have 3CX v15.5 running on Windows 7 and using Yealink T42G and T46G phones. Has anyone had these type of issues and resolved them?

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Mark Houser

You will need to provide some more details regarding your issue. Does this happen on extension to extension calls as well or only on external calls? Do you use a Sip trunk or do you have a gateway? Did you pass the firewall checker successfully? Are the phones local or remote?
    Did something change before the issue started? Configuration change? Change in the network?

3. Mark Houser

Hi YiannishH_3CX

Thank you for your quick response to our dilemma. Our issue of missing music-on-hold and blank recordings seem only to be apparent with inbound calls. Whether the caller selects a predefined auto-attendant option or dials a specific extension directly the results are the same. Keeping in mind the occurrence of this problem is random. We have not seen this issue with extension to extension calls.

All of our inbound calls are delivered through Fusion SIP trunks.

We have always allowed port 5090 to fail in the firewall test as we have had no interest in tunneling into our 3CX system. However I am confused by the appearance of SIP Server fail in the firewall check report. I do recall working initially with FortiNet to ensure that any and all SIP ALG was disabled.

All of our SIP instruments are local. We cannot point to any specific event that caused these issues to begin (randomly). The only changes are Windows updates and 3CX updates.

We appreciate any help you can provide us in solving our issues.

4. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

So the SIP server fail in the firewall test needs to be resolved. 5090 is the tunnel port used by the softphone/apps when remote but not required for audio/call completion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mark Houser

Sporadic no music-on-hold with blank voice messages.

Thanks all for your suggestions. We didn’t suspect the firewall at first as we have a second 3CX v12.xxx server on our network which has been working successfully without incidents for about 5 years. At this point we worked for several hours with the Fortinet engineers on our FortiGate 51E firewall to totally disable all ALG functionality. Unfortunately this effort has not been successful. 3CX firewall checker still reports “detecting SIP ALG... failed” Any suggestions would be most welcome.

6. Mark Houser

We resolved ALL firewall issues (ALL green) by swapping back to our old, slow-poke Sonicwall. With that change, our 3CX server continues to malfunction. When external calls are transferred from the auto-attendant to the requested extension if there is no music-on-hold then the voicemail message is blank. Conversely, if the music-on-hold plays then a voicemail message is properly recorded. We also learned when the failure occurs the # and 0 keys pressed at the end of the message are unresponsive.

7. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

So now firewall check passes and the issue persists from incoming calls only. When the music on hold fails and the voicemail is not recorded do you hear the voice mail prompt?
    Also can you tell me the exact version of your PBX? You can find it on the dashboard next to the licence tab.
    Have you tried a different provider that offers a free account just to test and make sure the issue is not with the provider?

Is your account register or IP based? Under the sip trunk option you do Have PBX delivers audio enabled? also are the options Supports Re-Invite and Supports Replaces on or off?

8. Mark Houser

Thank you. Cox network bandwidth was as low as 1 Mbps today ... total disaster. We delayed implementing your suggestions until tomorrow. We will update you then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.