• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Internal call no audio, external call OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacky18

Reaction score
Hi all

I have this strange behaviour on my 3cx system. Can figure out if it is related to the client or server. :oops:

On the machine that I installed 3cx server, it's a vanilla W2k3 machine with firewall turned off.
I've setup a voip provider and receiving call OK. However, when I try to do an internal call, both sides only hears statics, no audio, no voice.

can anyone provide some idea how should I troubleshoot problem like this one?

thanks.

Are you microphones working ok? - have you tested them on another application like windows sound hardware setup?

Have you played around with the PBX deliveries audio option (in each extention?)

The most likely causes is that your router is still blocking the the internal sound - check your firewall log, im 99% sure its to do with that.
What ports do you have open?

jacky18 said:
Hi all
However, when I try to do an internal call, both sides only hears statics, no audio, no voice.

thanks.

Can you please specify the IP phones that you are using?
Also provide us with you local IP address space ie 192.168.0.0 etc

It sounds like your "local" phones are not local at all

h2009 said:
Are you microphones working ok? - have you tested them on another application like windows sound hardware setup?

Have you played around with the PBX deliveries audio option (in each extention?)

The most likely causes is that your router is still blocking the the internal sound - check your firewall log, im 99% sure its to do with that.
What ports do you have open?

I have confirmed that mic works fine as the call to external phone, from softphone to my mobile works fine both way. The 3cx firewall scann seems to say everything is good and the necessary ports are good.

I'll need to check on the router's firewall to see if it is blocking the ports for internal call (i think by default 7000 onwards? )

on the pbx deliveries option..hmm.. not yet... :mrgreen: will experiment that one and see how it goes.

bluefox8080 said:
jacky18 said:
Hi all
However, when I try to do an internal call, both sides only hears statics, no audio, no voice.

thanks.

Can you please specify the IP phones that you are using?
Also provide us with you local IP address space ie 192.168.0.0 etc

It sounds like your "local" phones are not local at all

the server is 192.168.1.30 and for now I uses only softphone to simplify my test env. if everything goes as expected, will proceed to test phase 2 with IP phones............. :|

the test env, all machines obtains IP via DHCP which is in the 192.168.1.100 - 150 range. So i think the phone client uses this IP too. The internal call is calls to other extention.

What else do you think I should check?

Oh one thing I didn't add is that, this box is a VM on a W2k3 box with no Firewall on it. VM runs on a virtual router without any port blocking on it, so ports is not an issue. the firewall scan also seems to confirmed this. I'll need further checks though. :mrgreen:

Hmm,
Thats a hard one have you got you server address set to static ip number?

So you are using the 3CX Voip Client or an other VoiP Client like X-TEN?

bluefox8080 said:
So you are using the 3CX Voip Client or an other VoiP Client like X-TEN?

:?:
there is a little difference...

do you have any additional comments?

Thanks

jacky18 said:
Oh one thing I didn't add is that, this box is a VM on a W2k3 box with no Firewall on it. VM runs on a virtual router without any port blocking on it, so ports is not an issue. the firewall scan also seems to confirmed this. I'll need further checks though. :mrgreen:

That little detail makes things exponentially more difficult :lol:
How is your virtual network port set? Is it performing NAT? If so, remove it. Make sure that you're not sharing the IP address between the guest and host operating systems, and the internet sharing thing is off.

Your problem probably comes form one of two sources: network circuit or audio circuit. The virtualization of audio is pretty cumbersome under windows (doesn't matter if you are using VM or VirtualPC/Server).

My suggestion is to avoid any virtual environmet until such time you are very comfortable with your VOIP setup and you know everything inside out. Otherwise, you won't even know what to chase after.
3CX is still work in progress as far as I can see, and in my view it is not mature enough to comfortably virtualize it yet.
I may be mistaken though. If anyone is running it in a virtual environment trouble free and with good performance, let us know.
Halea

SY said:
do you have any additional comments?
Thanks

Well.... For starters, I am trying to determine if he connects to the 3CX box via a Sip account (like in X-TEN) or if he uses the extension number and PIN number as in the 3CX Voip Client.

After this I would like to see if he uses the domain or the proxy to communicate with the 3cx server and other phones.
This will then in turn give a good indication if the 2 Soft clients are trying to communicate with each other directly or via the 3CX server using the media server.

But since you think this question is irrelevant.... Why don't you solve this one?

OK... This is going to be really really stupid............. :mrgreen:

It turns out nothign to do with hardware, nothing to do with network or server. It's the driver............ :oops:

it turn out one of the machine use to test has got a wrong driver in it hence the mic not picking it. But still not sure why works fine for external call though.

all good now

thakns all for the help :D

What drivers were giving you problems? I once got a similar problem (with something else than 3CX Phone System), but the computer that was trying to send the voice data rebooted when I tried to send voice. There were 2 ways into solving the problem.

1) Sound card driver update.
2) Change the codec being used to transmit data. (I don't remember wich one it was, but it was GSM, PCM* or Speex)

But your problem is weird, outgoing calls were fine and internal calls were not working. I wonder what are the codecs used to transmit voice data in 3CX Server and if it's the same for internal and external calls.

demonofsteel said:
What drivers were giving you problems? I once got a similar problem (with something else than 3CX Phone System), but the computer that was trying to send the voice data rebooted when I tried to send voice. There were 2 ways into solving the problem.

1) Sound card driver update.
2) Change the codec being used to transmit data. (I don't remember wich one it was, but it was GSM, PCM* or Speex)

But your problem is weird, outgoing calls were fine and internal calls were not working. I wonder what are the codecs used to transmit voice data in 3CX Server and if it's the same for internal and external calls.

Not too sure actually but I have to downgrade the driver I had. It was the realtek HD audio driver that cause the major havoc. I have to downgrade to the basic driver (No HD audio support)

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imperial Treasure
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.