• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Internal Extensions dialing DID loop out and back in

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsukraw

Free User
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So have a customer with multiple locations running off 1 3CX system.
Users at each location are so used to dialing the 7/10 digit version to call between offices.
They no longer need to do that and just need to call the Ring Group of the remote office but they continue to forget this.
When they call the DID the call goes out to our SIP Carrier and right back into our system.
This ends up taking 2 call licenses and appears as used minutes with our SIP carrier.

Can anyone think of a way to either to prevent this from happening?
I initially thought of using a outbound rule to strip the 7/10 digits and replace with the internal Ring Group number but 3cx only allows for up to 9 digits stripped.

Thoughts?

I think a loopback provider would even use 2 licenses. (Provider to 127.0.0.1 - incoming calls to that ring group - apply to outbound rule).
I have suggested in the ideas forum to check the inbound rules before checking the outbound rules to see if there is a match...

I observed the same.. tried to train against it.. and finally was "less nice" by adding a BLOCK ALL CALLS rule for each DID to prevent. Else.. a finely-crafted dial plan might help.. but would still be incomplete on phones which don't leverage such a dial plan.

Did you try a loop trunk?

Back in 2011, Sy posted the "trick" (his words). It was in the Partner Forum, which you may not have access to, so rather than post the link, I'll quote him..

"Re: internal users dialing did's instead of extension

Postby SY » 25 May 2011 Wed 06:04:21,
Technically, the trick can be implemented using loopback SIP trunk.
1. create SIP trunk with 127.0.0.1:5060
2. create outbound rule(s) for this trunk. They should intecept all DID numbers
3. attach existing inbound DIDs rules to this trunk

If everything is done correctly then all outgoing calls addressed to DID numbers will go to the loop back trunk and then returned as incoming calls which will be routed by inbound DID rules."

This was in response to someone having the same issue as yourself, internal callers dialling the entire DID number..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.