Internal / external calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by voipbaennjer, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voipbaennjer

Does it force any problems when I'm dialing external calls without a prefix?
    I've setup my 3CX with 3 digit extensions and no prefix for outgoing calls, I only specify the extensions that can use a particular line in that outbound rule.

So far I have no difficulties.

Any comments or suggestions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ec268

We never set prefix for external call since first installion, it almost 3 years. No problem so far ~

3. wzaatar

Agree and confirm. No need to make any special configuration. 3CX works flawlessly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. voipbaennjer

As a telephone service technician I grew up with "old fashioned" PBXs (first relay switched then electronic systems later ISDN), sometimes up to 4096 ports. But all of them needed a prefix to seize an outgoing line.
    That's why I'm a bit surprised 3CX works without. Which is fine, because if in the past someone wanted tu use one of our phones you allways had to tell him "dial 0 to get an outgoing line".

Now this times are gone thanks to 3CX.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I guess it would depend on whether there was a conflict between outside numbers and internal extensions or voice mail access. If you lived in a region, say North America, and you lived in an area with a couple of area codes, say 360 and 206, AND all outside local numbers required 10 digit dialling, then, unless you had an extension that was 360 or 206, you'd be OK. In some countries, all outside numbers start with a "0", probably no problem. If you lived in an area where you could dial 7 digit local numbers then there is a possibility of a NXX / extension conflict.

Some people have a POTS line (or multiple) and a VoIP provider (or two) and so want to be able to direct calls using an 9 or 8 as a prefix/access digit.

6. wzaatar

In that case, I'd guess he could use the number length as an extra constraint so that dialing rules apply.

7. voipbaennjer

My 3-digit extensions start with 200 because there are 2 3-digit outside numbers (110 and 112 for emergency). All other local and long distance numbers are longer then 3 digits.
    I tested the case that a local number and an extension began with the same digits (ext. 735 and local number 735xxx).
    It worked, I could reach both the extension and the outbound number depending on what number would have been dialed.

8. wzaatar

Effectively,

There should not be any issues.

Glad things are working fine for you ;)

W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.