• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

International Roaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen_Miller

Gold Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Just trying to see if I figured this out correctly. Would appreciate a nod or tell me if I am wrong on this.

I'm a Verizon customer and have a Blackberry world phone. We are taking a trip to Israel soon. I believe that the Skype app. for my BB phone uses its voice channel and not the data channel. If it were data then there shouldn't be any per minute fee because the data is covered under the flat data plan. But, since treated as a voice call - it would be at the prevailing international roaming rate which is $1.99 per minute - a bit high except for very limited calling.

So, what I am wondering about is - if I use a Droid phone and the 3CX softphone app for the Droid - can I then make telephone calls from Israel that will be treated as data communication back to my 3CX server in the US without the roaming charges in Israel that I would have for voice calls?

Thanks.

Allen Miller (Cincinnati)

Hi,

You can connect to your 3CX server in the US via data connection and use your PBX's VoiP provider to make calls instead of using skype, if that's what you prefer. It would be much better than spending 1.99 per minute for international calls.

Although if you use some sort of 3G service, it is possible that the are blocking the SIP protocol. There aren't many 3G Providers that allow SIP / VoIP to pass through their network, so you may want to consider using Wifi hotspots in Israel for calls, and even then you better hope they don't have some sort of strict firewall enabled in which case you would have no audio in your calls.

God points about the firewalls. I'll consider it an experiment so I set my expectations properly.

Thanks.

I dont think a US droid will work in Israel?? The new droid announced yesterday for release in November by Verizon is the first world wide droid and is targeted at blackberry users.

Also the unlimited verizon data plan is us only not worldwide - though i think there is a blackberry worldwide plan.

Can you get Fring or something on blackberry? That works with 3cx and uses data. Check with verizon before you leave though.

12494 said:
So, what I am wondering about is - if I use a Droid phone and the 3CX softphone app for the Droid - can I then make telephone calls from Israel that will be treated as data communication back to my 3CX server in the US without the roaming charges in Israel that I would have for voice calls?

When you are roaming in an area NOT covered by your provider/contract, the only service that doesn't incur charges (other than paying to use a hotspot) is WiFi. All other methods of placing SIP/VoIP/Skype calls will cost you money, and in some cases, a lot, if they even work at all. Be aware too that if you are roaming, and you fail to answer a call (it bounces back to your voicemail on your home network), you pay long distance fees for the time it takes for the caller to leave a message. In many cases, you pay double, once for the call to reach the network you are roaming on, and again to get the call back to your home network. before you leave, either send all calls directly to voicemail or disable your voicemail service for the duration of your trip. Or you can leave the phone turned off.

I don't know if this is agreeing with what you have said or contrary.

I'll just post some actual observation - FWIW.

My wife and I traveled to Israel last month. My daughter is traveling there now. I have, and daughter has, Verizon Android (CDMA) phones. I activated Global/International Roaming/Data plan with Verizon or whatever they call it. Basically, it means that the monthly data plan goes from $30 to $65 - which can be prorated just for the number of days out of country.

Ordinarily voice calls to/from Israel cost $1.99/minute.

We have been using the 3CX Android soft phone and the calls between Israel and US are free (not counting the monthly data plan mentioned above).

Thank you 3CX.

Allen

If you can get an "add-on" data or voice plan to cover the time you are outside your home area, then great. Unfortunately, many people don't think to ask about things like that (before they leave and come home to a huge bill) and just assume that their roaming data usage costs won't be much more than at home. Wrong

Last week, when our daughter began her trip, I got a Verizon text message her first day telling me that I had incurred $50 of international roaming charges. I called VZW and they told me not to worry, this is a mistake in their system. Three hours later I got another text telling me I had gotten $200 of additional roaming charges. Called VZW again and they told me again - system error and the texts would not continue after the first day. They have not continued and we are promised that I will have no international roaming charges.

None of this happened, by the way, last month when I traveled there.

Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicolasAunixo
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.