Solved iOS 10 & 3CX

Discussion in 'iOS' started by BrunoNog, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrunoNog

Hello!
    Will 3CX for iPhone support the new VoIP feature on iOS 10 that allow answer a call on the lock screen like WhatsApp do?
    Thanks!

2. telis

telis New Member

I just downloaded ios10 to see if this was already implemented in the 3CX client, and it does not seem to be, and then logged on to this forum to ask the same question as BrunoNog.

I suppose it's likely that 3CX are working on this since it was anounced some time ago - https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/230/

If callkit works in practice it could mean a massive improvement in user experience for 3CX, moving the 3CX ios client from a toy to an app that is actually used.

I have tried the callkit VoIP implemetation in whatsapp on ios10 between an iphone6 and an iphone6S and on inital impressions over WiFi and 4G it is absolutely flawless.

3. BrunoNog

This new functionality is a big improvement to VoIP apps on iPhone. I would love to see that on 3CX. ;)

4. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi telis
    You're member of this forum since 2007, me since 2008, so I assume you already know we have our 3CXPhone client since iOS 3.2. Being myself involved in its development all this time, I'm just curious to know if, prior to iOS10, it was "just a toy" due to its own limitations or due to iOS ones? Also, what was/is the app, not "toy", you "actually use(d)" to connect to our 3CXPhoneSystem?
    Thanks
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. telis

telis New Member

Hi Vali,

I mean the limitations in iOS9 and below. The 3CX dialer has always been a second class citizen, now 3rd party dialers are on a more level playing field.

What I meant by it was "just a toy" was that whilst I've shown it to end-users but only a handful have actually used it long term, usually the tech type people. I didn't mean to diminish the efforts of the dev team! :) I have used it from time to time mnostly for outgoing calls. Even with the improved notification UI in iOS that enabled to answer a call from the lock screen with a swipe in the other direction it was both hit and miss in terms of response time and also poor UX because it didn't sound or look like an iOS phone call. (I think the response time has improved latterly though for inbound calls).

So, are you gonna integrate the callkit API in to the ios 3cx client??? :)

6. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

What do you think? 8)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. telis

telis New Member

Ehhh!!!

I'm exicited. :D

8. BrunoNog

Fantastic!!! :D
    Do you know when it will be released?
    Thanks!!

9. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

where's the thumbs up button?

10. usat

Must chime in with a big thumbs up on the integration of the callkit API into the 3CX client.

Currently, if a user is on a call on the 3CX client on an iPhone, and they receive a call on their normal cell line, it parks the 3CX call on hold with no notice to the participant until the iPhone user answers or cancels the inbound cell call. If you have music-on-hold, then the 3CX participant hears that music to know that they were put onto hold, this is bad of course if it is a conference call on someone else's bridge.

Sales people hate this, and with reason!

Workaround is to use the softclient on a PC with a headset for all volume calling and important VoIP calls. The 3CX iPhone client is therefore significantly impaired (hence the 'toy' terminology, although still a pretty sweet toy!).

11. Baguk

Acrobits Groundwire just released their version with callkit. Works smoothly, also supports of push notifications. However, I'm missing there full integration into address book, as e.g. WhatsApp has. So when you press on a contact or missed call - you cann't initiate a new call with the app directly - in case of Groundwire it's just open the app. I hope 3CX App will be released soon and will have better integration :) Unfortunately at this moment Groundwire beats 3CX and didn't look as a toy ;-)

12. BrunoN

There is any news about the update date?

13. usat

Re: iOS 10 & 3CX - Vote in the Ideas Forum

Trying to push this agenda-- please vote on the idea listing for this call kit integration into the iOS client...

http://www.3cx.com/forums/post185959.html#p185959

Improve iPhone client: use the iOS Callkit API with the 3CX client for iPhone

14. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

iOS 10 & 3CX preview

Just a preview - it's not a fancy videoclip, but it's good enough for a first impression; it shows four main scenarios:
    - answering and swapping two incoming calls from locked screen
    - calling back a missed call from locked screen
    - making a call from device's Contacts
    - making a call from device's Recents

once it will pass our pending stability tests, it will be released (we'll annnounce it, obviously).

15. dan_tx

Re: iOS 10 & 3CX preview

This is awesome. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Will bring so much more functionality and usefulness for those who or mobile.

16. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I'm so hoping this client will work with v14.

Our team has not approved us to go live with v15 yet because of the issues they have been seeing/reading about with DNS and certificates.

17. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Craig
    To put it like this: it will not be less V14-compatible than the current version. Apart from bug fixes, most changes are UI related.
    Regards
    vali

18. Sp0oK

The new intergration looks great and will be a big help to many of the users who are out and about. Have 3CX ever considered flighting the app so end users could test / provide feedback to you before launching? just might give you some fedback / fixes before the big launch and would be users responsability to know that there may be issues / bugs until the offical release?

19. usat

The integration looks superb-- a huge leap in functionality for iPhone use!

20. telis

telis New Member

I was just minding my own business and a call came in using Call Kit!!! Looking at the app store it was downloaded earlier today.

It handled that call and subsequent incoming test calls absolutely flawlessly in terms of ease of use, quality and speed of answer.

The only thing that I noticed that I would change is that I saw the first call was coming from the "3CX client" because that number was not in my phone's address book. However calls from numbers that were in the address book came through without advice that the call was from 3CX which was a shame. I'd also like the ability to change the description from "3CX client" to say "Customer Workplace", and change the ringtone. It maybe iOS 10 won't let you do this of course...

But the feature is brilliant.

Nick Galea likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.