iOS client does not ring unless app is in focus

Discussion in 'iOS' started by Shawn, Feb 2, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

i just installed my first ios mobile client on an iphone 6 on 10.3.2 and have found that the client does not ring unless the screen is on and 3cx is in focus. the installed version is 15.2.12.316 which was what downloaded. server is at 15.5.3849.1

i have the notifications in the permissions for the app set to what made sense and have tried other settings also (i don't remember apples descriptions in that area)

regardless of what i do, the app only rings if it is in focus. i don't know very much about ios but i know this ring on focus was an issue on earlier versions of the android client.

any ideas..

thanks

shawn

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The simplest test to see if PUSH is properly configured on the PBX side is a chat message.
    From a different 3CX client (PC or mobile) with a different extension, send a chat message to your iOS client - first on the foreground, then with device locked. Be careful the device isn't on DND mode (it doesn't have a small moon on the statusbar). This one should work - if not, then you have to check the PBX configuration, almost for sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shawn

Shawn New Member

i just tried that and the phone chimes on receipt of the chat message if 3cx is on the foreground but not any other time (locked or not in focus). i did the reverse from the iphone to my android and my android chimed not matter where 3cx was (foreground, background, or locked). my android is on .240 beta. i looked on the server and the only option that i found that mentions push is under the extension->phone provisioning->3cx client->enable push for smart phones (which is checked)

incidentally, i just deployed another ios client on an iphone 6 on ios 11.2.2 with .316 3cx and it did not ring unless 3cx was in focus. i did not get to try the chat message on this phone.

any ideas on where to go from here. i have about 5 or so android clients installed on .240 beta and they have been doing pretty good on ringing no matter what the status of the client or phone is.

thanks

shawn

4. Shawn

Shawn New Member

a quick bump on this thread......

any ideas here, i don't think i'm doing anything wrong. this should work, but it does not.

i need some help and i have two unhappy clients.

thanks

shawn

5. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

My advice is to contact our tech support and send them two provisioning profiles.
    As long as you have two devices, two extensions, different networks and none of the three push working, definitely should be something misconfigured for Apple push support at the PBX level (certificates, push rights, ports, dialer, whatever).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Marijn Paques

Dear Vali,

We are also experiencing the same problem when the iPhone is in a deep sleep. We have tested the purposed advice by checking if a chat message could be send and this seems to work.
    In your last message you write about the following things to check and/or should be configured correctly: (certificates, push rights, ports, dialer, whatever).

Could you be more specific on what and how we can check the server setings?

With kind regards,

Marijn Paques

7. Bert Van de Casteele

8. Marijn Paques

Dear Bert, Vali,

We're actually on even a newer version (we're on Beta 15-5-13-332 via the Test Flight App).
    But still in some cases we still experiencing the phone not ringing.

With kind regards,

Marijn Paques

9. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

@Marijn Paques
    Please check your PM.

P.S I sent Marijn a PM because the issue involved logs he sent us in a ticket opened with our technical support. I will update this topic some time later.

10. Bert Van de Casteele

Hello all,

for what it is worth : some of my observations with iOS phones :

1) app in focus : no problems whatsoever
    2) app out of focus BUT no screen lock : rings and chats OK
    3) app killed BUT no screen lock : rings and chats OK
    4) app out of focus AND screen lock : 85 % chance of Rings and chats OK (it depends on time left before trying)
    5) app killed AND screen lock : 0% calls and 0% chats

Version 15.2.12.316 of the iOS app (no updates available on App store, checked)

One more note :

on my phone I haven't yet updated iOS (i'm one version behind), whilst the majority of colleages here have updated. On my phone here, observation 5) does not apply : it DOES receive calls and chats, albeit with a large delay on the ring, which is understandable (PUSH system).

Hope this helps,

11. chaney

12. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi @chaney
    Since when the iOS client started to have this issue? After client update? PBX update? I'm asking because we implemented PUSH support to answer from locked screen since 15.2.2 (november 2016) and is good to know when the issue started to happen.
    However, my advice is to try the Beta version, it's good to have another feedback before its release.
    Thanks
    vali

13. Shawn

Shawn New Member

I now have 3 IOS clients installed and they all act the same where they don't ring unless the app is in focus. I tried the chat message test and they worked no matter what the status of the phone was. I don't have anything fancy going on here and the installation is pretty much out of the box. I don't know what to do here to fix this. I pursued the support avenue but I have to go through my reseller which is not the most convenient.

What is the Beta version and how do you become an IOS beta tester?

Is this something that you've run into before?

definitely should be something misconfigured for Apple push support at the PBX level (certificates, push rights, ports, dialer, whatever).

Can you tell me where Apple push is in the PBX. Again, this is a stock, default installation so I don't even know where this stuff would be to make any changes so how is it that it doesn't work out of the box. I really could use some better advice than to send two provisioning profiles to support.

Thanks

Shawn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.