Solved IOS offline -> still ringing

Discussion in 'iOS' started by Tigrecito, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigrecito

Hi,

I added an extension just for 3cx phone client (mac and ios)
    If mac client is shutdown and iphone is offline as well.

If I call that completely offline extension I still hear ringing tone -> so as a caller I don´t have a clue that this extension is offline .. I would expect to get mailbox directly if client is offline (same if I disconnect from account)

it seems that 3cx doesn´t recognize if phone client is offline ?

by the way I also disabled push function just for testing -> this as well doesn´t work like expected, if my iphone is online I still get a pushed call !!

2. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

From my understanding this is now normal behavior with Iphones. (Something to do with their newer firmware / callkit or something like that).
    The only way I know of to have an iphone with 3cx app installed not ring is to go and disable the account in the 3cx app in the iphone. There's no "exit without push" like on Android.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tigrecito

okay, that explains my last sentence: "why the option "disable push" in 3cx admin doesn´t seem to work."

BUT: the most important question is: why does it seem to ring (from caller point of view) even if the phone is offline (e.g. after shutdown because of low battery)

sorry, I don´t know the proper word in english for that: I call the extension and I hear a tone what makes me think the other phone is ringing (but of course it doesn´t ring because it´s offline).

so I would expect if I call that "offline" extension, that I get directly to voicebox (not only after 20 seconds)

4. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Indeed. When there aren't supposed to be any registrations with that extension, what does the 3cx extension status show? Do you see anything with that extention registered in the phones tab of 3cx ?
    ... currently not at the office and don't have an iPhone here so can't try and replicate. Sorry...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tigrecito

phones tab: nothing there connected with that extension
    extension tab: extension still shows green bullet

ok, did some further investigation:

- uninstalled mac and ios client completely
    - added 2 new extensions
    - both new extensions show red bullet (unregistered) in 3cx phones tab
    - installed mac client and provisioned with first extension
    - installed ios client and provisioned with second extension

mac client extension -> everything works like expected:
    - if I unregister account -> I see red bullet in 3cx phones tab
    - if I just shutdown app without unregistering account -> also I see red bullet

ios client:
    - as soon as I register account for the first time, 3cx phones tab always shows green bullet and this extension never gets unregistered again!

doesn´t matter if I:
    - exit app
    - shutdown app
    - unregister account
    - shutdown any internet connection
    - even shutdown phone

-> the extension still shows as registered and behaves like that -> so no rules work for unregistered state (like voicebox or ring another extension or whatever)

#5 Tigrecito, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Tigrecito

This is normal behaviour from an extension that has a mobile client registered to it that uses Push. The extension is always registered for the Push to work. The PBX is not aware of the status of the IOS client and will still try to send the Push message to the extension, that is why the caller hears ringing. To divert the calls to a different destination when you don't want to receive calls you need to change your status (Away, DND, etc) That way the PBX will not attempt to send a Push message and will divert the call based on your forwarding rules.

7. Tigrecito

hi yiannis,
    really? that can´t be a normal behaviour, if I have no chance to unregister a mobile client again.
    at least if I unregister a sip account in mobile app pbx should stop trying to push !

what if an IOS user doesn´t want to get pushed calls?

If I understand you correctly: if I once (accidentally) used IOS client there isn´t any possibility again to remove this client from the extension and stop pushing to it ? the extension will remain always on regardless what I do ?

8. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Tigrecito, extensions management (password, rights, deletion) is a part of the PBX management.

9. Tigrecito

hi Vali,

thanks for your answer. but I don´t exactly what you mean with this.

- I can uncheck push notification in PBX management -> doesn´t help
    - I can uncheck and/or delete the sip account in IOS app -> doesn´t help
    - I can delete the IOS app -> doesn´t help

so there are two questions:

#1 is there any possibility to use IOS client without push function?
    #2 how can I stop the PBX to try pushing calls to an extension with IOS client registered once which isn´t in use any more

a normal behaviour in my opinion would be:
    - if I uncheck or delete sip account in IOS app -> extension gets unregistered and push is disabled (same behaviour like in win/mac client)
    - if I delete app from IOS device -> extension gets unregistered and push disabled as well (you get info about app deletion from apple after first try of push)

this would be a proper way so a user can use IOS client if he is for example out for a business trip and deactivate this if he is back home again.

10. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I will give you few cases for the iOS client:
    - uninstalling the 3CX client
    - restoring the iOS from backup
    - deleting the SIP account when no network
    - deleting a SIP account while you're using another one or none.
    All these cases, obviously, doesn't require the 3CX client to be connected to the PBX, so the client cannot send a "disable push" request to the PBX; on the other hand, it cannot deny user (especially to uninstall) to do these operations until it connects to the PBX. We analyzed such cases few years ago, when we implemented the push mechanism, and we found that disabling it by request is extremely unreliable operation.

Now, what I wanted to say in the previous post:
    me, Vali, I cannot register on my own to your PBX, I have to ask you, the PBX administrator: you will assign me an extension, you will configure it for multiple calls, use outside of LAN, activate push, queue member, etc. Accordingly, if I no longer need that extension, or I don't want some options - like being a queue member or using push - I will have to ask you and you, the PBX administrator, will administrate my extension. If I no longer need my extension, I will have to ask you to delete it; if I no longer want push notifications, I will have to ask you to disable it.

11. Tigrecito

thanks Vali, I got you ;-) .. I can understand why this will be unreliable!

I think a nice option would be to set push on and off from ios client there you could check if app is connected to pbx and only enable that option if phone is online...

anyway you wrote:
    If me as PBX admin could disable that I would love do that.. but HOW can I do that ?

I know the uncheck option in PBX admin -> if I uncheck, nothing happens still push is active.

12. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Can't we all just agree to destroy all Iphones ?
    (Honestly though I too have had complaints from Iphone users on the forced push notifications, might be handy if the iphone client had less button presses involved to disable the account in the app)

13. Tigrecito

I did some further investigation into this issue:

it is indeed possible to disable push for IOS apps:
    - after you uncheck PUSH in PBX admin -> you have to uninstall app from phone, then reinstall app, then push is disabled. (you can also delete sip account and add again via attachment)
    - you can enable push again simply by enable it in PBX admin this works immediately ... but if you want to disable it again, you have to again uninstall/install
    - simply reprovisioning after uncheck push functionality in PBX admin doesn´t help !

I hope you agree, that this behaviour is a bug and not a feature ;-) :

I would expect after uncheck push in admin that at least a reprovisioning would be enough so that push is disabled !
    especially because activation of push starts immediately after pbx admin change, this also should work with deactivate!

Hopefully this will be fixed in further releases !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.