Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

ip address is not updated in 3cx dns

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by joec22, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joec22

It has been about 24 hours and 3cx has not updated its name.3cx.us ip address for our test system. We are just trying out to see if the system will work for us. The installation is a google cloud install with an Ephemeral external ip that will change when we stop the instance. I'm hoping to test some SIP providers next, but it seems the 3cx softphone won't work without the FQDN.

I've seen other posts about this, but no resolution has been posted except to wait. Maybe there is a cert issue for this process, but it definitely makes it challenging to demo.

2. xantip

Is your IP address setting in 3CX static or dynamic? You can find it under Settings->Network. During test setup or when the external IP address changed, I had to switch it from static to dynamic, until it updated, and then back to static.
    I can only recommend to use a static IP address...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. joec22

Dynamic - for production, yes we will use static. But I'm still testing right now.

4. xantip

I found this thread: https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/dynamic-ip-address-and-fqdn.50853/
    Don't know if you read it. I also read some other threads about the same issue. Looks like not much you can do about it.

When I create a test PBX for demo, I always use a static IP. A basic test machine in OVH cloud is very cheap and works fine. Instructions here: https://www.3cx.com/docs/cloud-pbx-ovh/
    Or you can even install it for free one year on Google cloud: https://www.3cx.com/blog/news/google-cloud-pbx-hosting/

And if you install locally a SBC on a Raspberry Pi, you can easily provision the phones from the 3CX console. Installation instructions over here: https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-sbc-raspberry-pi/
    Don't try to install it on a virtual Pi though, the SBC does not work in that case. You need a real Pi or a (virtual) Debian machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JWillScott

I had this as an ongoing problem during the last two service pack updates.
    I got it to work after changing the STUN server addresses.

You can change them. Go to the 3CX web dashboard > right hand Information box > click the Red dynamic IP address. This will take you to the Network Settings Page.
    On the Public IP tab, in the External IP Configuration
    (I left Primary as stun-us.3cx.com port 3478)
    Change Secondary
    stun.l.google.com port: 19302
    Change Third
    stun4.l.google.com port: 19302

Or you can use any STUN server. Here is a list I found on Google

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @joec22

If you have set the PBX up using Dynamic IP the PBX will send a STUN request every 20 minutes to check for IP changes. Once a change is identified the DNS entry will automatically update to the new IP. However the TTL for the FQDN is 6 hours so you need to wait for that. Once that is done you may need to also wait for the DNS propagation to reach you. You can test if the DNS entry has updated by checking against the google DNS.
    For a production PBX it is always recommended to use a static IP address to avoid these delays.

7. joec22

This was actual occurrence for me. I'm not asking what will happen. At best TTL was 12 hours, and propagation another 12 hours. I posted some time around 24 hours, and then soon after the ip was updated. While 3cx may be stating TTL 6 hours, that is not what happened. I was querying 8.8.8.8 during this time. As stated, I'm testing right now, so I didn't reserve the static.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.