Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

ip address's

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jwnesbitt, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwnesbitt

Hi

I installed my Phone system on a local IP address (192.168.1.52), but now I wish to set up an extension that is outside my local network

I already have hamachi installed and that has generated an ip range of 5.

My ISP does not offer a fixed IP, but I do have a account with Dynamic DNS, so could i use my DynDns address for the 3CX phone system or the hamachi IP ?

How would i change it in the phone system

thanks

Jody

2. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

After doing a bit of research on Hamachi,

Hamachi would work if you where using the softphone, it will not reliably pass traffic for hardphones.
    You can use the DYNDNS but reliability is going to be an issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jwnesbitt

hi

thanks for the reply.

I noticed on your website that you offer a simialr service, how do you do it with multiple locations?

thanks again for the quick support

Jody

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I use DYNDNS with external extensions ,with no issues. Set up an account with whichever dynamic DNS service your router uses (most are free) and use that setting in the remote phone(s) in place of the server IP. Don't forget to enable STUN in the remote set too.

5. jwnesbitt

thanks for that

do i need to append the port number in the settings as well

ie: ...dynds.com:50??

thanks

Jody

6. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

You only need the port info for accessing the web administration. Remote phones all use the same ports so you just need the ip address.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In SIP each phone/device there is a place to enter the IP address (location) of the server AND a place to enter the port. Some default this port to 5060 but if you happen to set up 3CX to use a different port, you can change this. Each device also has it's own port number. If you are running two phones at one remote location you will want to make sure that they don't have the same (internal) port numbers, use 5060, 5061, etc. Think of port numbers like apartment numbers, the mail (messages) won't get through if two apartments have the same number at that address (IP).

8. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

Our servers are located on static IP blocks, so dynamic IP's will only change on the client side. We adjust re-registration times and use some proprietary network tricks to insure connectivity 100% of the time. The hardest problems we have are with certain connections were the ISP is issuing internally restricted class C ranges to the WAN side of the modem. In that case we generally have to send out a VPN end point.

So long as at least one end of the VoIP system is static, there shouldn't be any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.