iPhone push notifications not working

Discussion in 'iOS' started by nbrown, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbrown

We're really struggling with the iPhone push notifications, Android works fine. Whether we're on or off the network using 3G it just won't work. It's enabled under settings, the apps are re-provisioned and as far as we can see they register OK as they appear under phones and also with a push service associated to them. But when they are sleeping they just won't wake up when called. On some very rare and random occasions they will ring, but if you try again straight after hanging up they don't again.

For information we use a Fortigate 60D firewall and all VIP's are setup and working fine, we cane make and receive calls perfectly OK if we have the app open first.

Any help or guidance will be gratefully appreciated please?

Nick

2. IliasL_3CX

3CX Support

Hi Nick,

Kindly review the following link which depicts the configuration settings that must be implemented on a firewall in order for the push notification to work: http://www.3cx.com/docs/configuring-apple-push/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. johngrap

Having gone through the posts, this seems to be the best and most recent post to ask the question.

We're running 3CX version 12 SP 6. There are a number of IPhones and I have just tried the Android softphone off our system. The IPhones register and receive Push notifications, but regardless of whether the App if running in the background or not, they don't ring on an incoming call (either in or out of the office). The Android devices do ring.

If I receive a push notification of an incoming call and start the app (or open from background operation), it registers - shows as being online but doesn't ring. The caller hears a ringing phone.

Looking at the previous posts, it appears that this should not be the case, but it isn't too clear on other posts if this is the case. Can you please advise if this is "normal" or there is something that needs to be changes in our system. I did find a post relating to enabling ports of firewalls, and not sure if it's related to this, but we are receiving push notifications. We're running a Cisco Meraki 60W firewall. I'm currently trying to encourage our other offices to use the 3CX system as they upgrade, and this feature would certainly help in the argument. Thanks for your help,
    John

4. RussRiopelle

We just installed V12 SP6 and are having the same issues with the IPhone Push notification. IPhone users are not being notified and if they have the phone open on their screen the phone does not vibrate/ring but they do see the call. If the phone app is asleep then they get nothing. All of our Android phones with app work fine. Everything looks good on our end with 3CX setup and firewalls.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DJHiP

Aha Interesting, so others are seeing the same behavior.

I was scratching my head as to why it's not working, so it appears the iPhone app will need an update too then.

To clarify I see the same results, iPhone lock screen notification comes in (On both wifi and 3G), you slide to action the item, the app then launches and registers and thats it. You can never actually pick the call up because the phone never rings. If you have the app open on the screen when the call comes in you can answer the call.

6. sysadmin_at_lca

Please count me in to this issue. My symptoms are:

- I have the 3CX software on my iPhone and (worked around) my Push notification trick (forgot to say "yes' when first prompted)
    - Push notifications do not work at all
    - If I am running the 3CX software and it's the foreground application, it works and I can answer

Push notifications (from Apple or Arcobits SIP client) work beautifully, so it's not any weird firewall configuration.

It just seems like the 3cx for iPhone software is broken.

Please fix it as it will really hold up my (wider) deployment of 3CX.

7. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

iPhone app is working for me.

8. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

Hi there,
    It could be that your push certificate is outdated, can you try backup your config, uninstall 3CX Phone System, and reinstall latest available from our website, restore config, then see if issue persists?

9. complex1

complex1 Active Member

@pj3cx

Hi Pierre,
    Is there not an easier way to update the push certificate?
    For example: just only download the newest push certificate into the 3CX Phone System, instead of a complete reinstall of the system?

10. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

Hi there,
    Yes there is another way, take the attachment of this post, extract pfx file from it, and paste it over existing file in folder C:\ProgramData\3CX\Bin\Cert\Apple. Restart services. Issue should be gone.

Attached Files:

11. complex1

complex1 Active Member

Hi Pierre,

Thank you very much for sharing this solution with us.
    I appreciate this very much.

Regards

12. johngrap

Obviously other are having the same issue I had.

I have tried updating the push certificate by pasting the "new" one over the old (and restarting the computer following this) but still no luck. I have also tried on 3 separate iPhones (2 x IPhone 4's and one IPhone 4S) all the same results. I initially did have some issues with ports but this is now corrected so not a port or firewall issues that I can work out.

Looks like push certificate isn't my problem.

13. DJHiP

Do you have Push Notifications Enabled?

Are you able to Answer a call when the alert comes via the Push Notification?

Are you running V12 SP6?

14. johngrap

Running 3CX 12 with SP6, push notifications enabled.

If 3CX app is alive, I receive calls and can answer, transfer and have all functionality. Once the phone locks, I receive push notifications on incoming calls (extensions or external calls).

Even if I open 3cx app (running in background) phone app tells me it's on hook but not ringing so can't answer the call. Calling party still hear ringing, and eventually diverts to message bank.

Tried with internal extensions as well as external call from ring group and same response from iPhones.

Happens on all 3 iPhones I've tried on.

15. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

Are you connecting to PBX using tunnel app ?

16. johngrap

No - not using tunnel app. The same problem occurs when I'm in the office on the same network as the phone system - still not luck.

17. complex1

complex1 Active Member

YES.... I think I have the solution for the push notification issue. :D :D :D :D
    Some time ago the push notification and call connection was working very well on my iPhone 5s, but with the latest version it didn’t work anymore.
    After some digging in my backup files I found a previous version of the 3CXPhone for iPhone: v12.1.2
    I installed this version on my iPhone and since then I have no issues anymore.
    If the iPhone is a sleep or the app is running in the background, after accepting the push notification the phone wake up, you can login, the app starts and the call is accepted.

So I think there is a bug in v12.1.3 AND v12.1.4

18. DJHiP

I've tested it both with the Tunnel and Without (Direct) and it's the same result.

Obviously if the Tunnel is in use and it's gone to sleep the App won't connect.

But the issue isn't the App connecting, its the fact it then doesn't ring for you to answer the call.

19. complex1

complex1 Active Member

When the app or iPhone is a sleep you get only one push notification. That’s all, nothing more.
    The app is only ringing when it is alive.
    So, if you miss that only notification sound you will never answer that call.

20. johngrap

After being disappointed that this issue was not addressed, I put in a request through the support portal. They advised that when you receive the push notification - you swipe the notification, and the app starts up, and the phone is answered. Tried on incoming calls and it works - finally I can use the app to receive calls. Hope this helps others having problems. It certainly wasn't clear in any of the literature I found but success in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.