Iphone/Thinktel Issues?

Discussion in 'iOS' started by vivanetworks, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vivanetworks

I am trying to get 3CX to work with my iphone (Rogers carrier) and thinktel (VOIP) I have configured my handheld but it keeps saying "Forbidden". I have other profiles that work fine...

Device Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Phone Model: Iphone
    Generation: 4GS
    Firmware Version: 5.1.1
    Jailbreak: NO
    Cydia Installed: [YES|NO] What the F is that?

Issue Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Connection: [WiFi|3G] Either...

> Credentials
    > User: 6139166085
    > ID: 6139166085
    > Password: insert it here...

> Server Settings
    > Use As: SIP Account
    > Local PBX IP: Blank...
    > External PBX IP: 206.80.250.105
    > PBX Port: 5060
    > STUN Server: stun3.3cx.com
    > Proxy: tor.sub.tprm.ca

Does any of thise make sense? anything I am missing? anything helps!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have you managed to get it working over WiFi as a first step?
    Does it appear that the "forbidden" response is coming from your provider? If so, then they might be able to help you troubleshoot the issue.

3. vivanetworks

I have, they aren't giving me much at all. They gave me the number user/pass and IP address... thats it.

Forbidden usually means what? that its blocked where?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It can mean that the number (format) you are dialling is incorrect or not permitted (international, 900 number, etc). I'm assuming that the phone shows you as registered? If so then your user name and password, I assume, is correct. Sorry, I'm doing a lot of assuming.

I hope that you are making use of the proxy and server address, given you, correctly. Some providers supply you with both, but, many just give you a server URL to use, no proxy. It is not often that they give you an IP to use, as it can, possibly, change.

5. vivanetworks

Thanks for the quick reply.

No they gave me both, proxy and server IP. My other question is should I leave the STUN server to the 3cx one? or remove it?

They gave me tor.sub.tprm.ca (which translate to the correct IP of: "206.80.250.105".

Also, I know your doing alot of assuming don't worry about it :) I am not able to register the line. It says registering... then forbidden. That's as far as I get. However I Can switch to a different profile and connect to my OWN Voip server here and have that working 100% no issues.

So thats why I wanted to test with a thinktel number. The number is a 613 area code... same as my phone.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Ah ha....that tells me that the user name or password may be incorrect, I had assumed that it was showing as registered.

You may not need to use STUN, especially if you are using 3G, I would remove it unless you encounter one way audio issues.. Try getting this working over WiFi first as 3G can add additional problems.

7. vivanetworks

Ok, I'll have them re-confirm my username/password then... I am typing it in right...

I've removed the STUN and got myself on wireless instead of 3G. My other question is in the setup... for the user information
    what should I enter for the ID? I have user/pass... but should I leave ID blank? or make it the phone number?

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You would have to ask the provider what they want to see there.

The other thing that came to mind, regarding the forbidden.....Do you already have a device registered using the same credentials? Some provider only allow one registration, at a time.

After doing a little research...I don't see the proxy being used in any of the information I've come across, you might try leaving it blank.

http://support.thinktel.ca/index.php/kb/article/52-I_have_an_IP_phone_ATA_that_I_would_like_to_peer_to_Thinktel._How_do_I_do_that

I would take this to mean that you put the edm.sub.tprm.ca in where the server name (External PBX IP) should be and leave the proxy blank.

9. vivanetworks

Yeah, they didn't give me an ID so I'll leave it blank. So far here's what i Have...

Credentials
    > > User: 6139166085
    > > ID:
    > > Password: *Entered*
    > >
    > > Server Settings
    > > Use As: SIP Account
    > > Local PBX IP:
    > > External PBX IP: 206.80.250.105
    > > PBX Port: 5060
    > > STUN Server:
    > > Proxy:

Think I need to add anything?

Thanks,

10. vivanetworks

A little troubleshooting!!!! and voila! I got it to work! :) I'll post the results in a sec.

11. vivanetworks

If anyone ever has this problem... here's the list of details that i made for myself... I dont mind make this public for you guys either.

1. Order a number from ThinkTel’s uControl portal.
    2. Install the phone application (3CX) found in the App Store or Market.
    3. Open the application and select to create a new profile.
    4. Once you have the new profile open, enter in the following information.

The name and display name can be chosen by the user. The User (phone number) and Password was provided by ThinkTel or located in uControl. The External PBX IP is tor.sub.tprm.ca or edm.sub.tprm.ca depending on where you decided to place the number when setting it up.

The PBX port is 5060 and the proxy is the IP address of the above server.
    Tor.sub.tprm.ca 206.80.250.105
    Edm.sub.tprm.ca 208.68.17.51

Once the number registers you should see it in uControl.

Voila! problem solved! Thanks for your help Leejor!

12. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

check this out: http://www.3cx.com/forums/how-to-register-sip-accounts-to-the-3cxphone-28964.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.