Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Is it possible to change the root provisioning folder?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by LiscardGP, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiscardGP

Hi

I have just upgraded to version 12. I now note the root provisioning folder is now secured and unique for each installation.

I was wondering whether it is possible the change the location of this folder?

I run my 3CX installation on a 32 bit version of Windows 7 professional.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Brian

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. carolinainnovative

There might be some hidden Custom Parameter you can set in Advanced that will do it, but I haven't been able to find it.

The only other option would be hacking the PostgreSQL database and seeing if there is anything hiding in there - but that is a "attempt at your own peril" kind of operation.

3. carolinainnovative

Ok, so I just had to go digging around for in pg to see if I could find where something ELSE was set, and I did NOT see the provisioning folder set in there. Didn't find what I was looking for either, and that led me to this discovery...

Ultimately, I found what I was looking for - AND where the provisioning folder was set - in the registry of all places.

*** CAVEAT *** this is at your own risk, unsupported, and neither 3cx support, this forum, nor I are under any obligation to support you if this horribly breaks your install.

Check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\3CX\3CX PhoneSystem

Bear in mind - I'm running multi-tenant v12 rc1, so mine might be a little different, and mine is also 64bit, so mine was under the WOW6432 node, but see what you can find in there.

Again - this is at your own risk.

4. LiscardGP

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. I will check out your suggestion and see if it is possible.

I have a test system to play with which may come in handy.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LiscardGP

I have found 2 keys in the registry where carolinainnovative indicated

FullProvPath
    ProvSubDIr

So this is what I tried (after first backing up the registry ;) ):-

1) Created my "new folder" and copied all files and folders from original into it
    2) Changed the path in the two registry entries to "new folder path"
    3) Re started the computer

Checked the location of the location of the "Provisioning URL's" in "Settings\Phone Provisioning" node and found that they now point to new location.
    I then updated my DHCP option 66 to new path and attempted to re-provision a Cisco 504G phone (after rebooting phone).

EVERYTHING APPEARS TO BE WORKING FINE so first impressions are that a solution has been found. 8)

I would be interested to know what other think of this change, or whether another solution is available.

All credit to carolinainnovative. Thanks for your help.

6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

What exactly was the purpose of changing this folder, if I may ask?

7. LiscardGP

I have another preconfigured installation ready as a backup. If it has a different provisioning folder and if the second machine is brought into service the DHCP option 66 will need to changed.

The problem is I work for a small organisation and can't always be present to do this. So if the two machines have the same provisioning folder the problem disappears.

8. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Why not create a shared folder somewhere and have a scheduled task copy the provisioning file on a schedule? I would run HFS as a lightweight http server just for that and the firmware folder as well.

9. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Would a backup and restore create a different provisioning folder? If so, this is probably good for admins to know how to do as all phones would need to be re provisioned...

10. carolinainnovative

Last I checked, backup and restore does NOT change the provisioning folder. I've backed up and restored this version several times, and the prov folder stays the same...

11. LiscardGP

I wonder if restoring a backup onto another installation puts templates etc into second systems default provisioning folder, or creates a new folder with the first computers default provisioning folder name?

I suspect the restore process will put data into new installations default provisioning folder.

I will be testing this in next week or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.