Is it possible to install 3cx onto a virtual server?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rewing, Oct 17, 2007.

1. rewing

Since 3cx phone system are based on web configuration. I wonder if it can be run on a virtual server like ixwebhosting. because it provide dedicate IP address for domains.

any one ever tried ang got it work?

2. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

Well , i dont know if its the same thing, but i know you can run 3cx on VMware, a software that creates virtual machines. So my guess is.. yes....

Cheers

3. BendyMetal

I doubt you could actually get the whole of 3cx to work on this particular service - by the looks of the website, they aren't giving you access to a virtualised server, more just a web hosting environment. I suppose theoretically you could host the db and php parts on that....but in reality that might get complicated. Let us know how you get on if you proceed.

4. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I believe they mean Virtual PC, Virtual Server or VMWare.
    Virtual PC is free from Microsoft. I was going to give it a try with Virtual Server on a new server box I'm building just to test it out.

5. BendyMetal

I see absolutely no reason why 3cx wouldn't run in a virtualised environment.....i stand to be corrected however.... ;-)

6. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

I cannot even imagine, how PBX can be based on web or any other configuration :)

7. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

It could be possible if SIP was changed to use port 80 only with a database backend. Someday we may see this but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

8. rewing

hey,guys!
    I don't mean to install it on a virtual PC, but onto a web hosting! Some webhosting could provide full privilege to access the hosting. But you can't using GUI installation process. what we could do is to : copy all files that have been installed in our local PC to hosting. and then using Shell to register and run services that needed for pbx phone system.

I guess it's possible, but I don't know how to process it. it may need us to write some .bat file to manual start the service.

The idea is that if you could copy the installed folder to another PC and manual start all service , you may be able to do it in a hosting space.

Anybody ever try?

9. BendyMetal

sorry to break this too you, but that ain't gonna work!!

10. LORD ORION

Not to be a weenie, but a word of caution is required here.

Alot of telephony doesn't work using virtualization.

3cx may work, but this does not mean everything else in your infrastructure will.

The main problem being that virtual ports are created when using virtualization, which adds a layer of abstraction away from the real hardware/software.

This becomes problematic in the TDM world, as the timers are going through a layer of virtualization that you don't see. This can have a very bad effect on quality or even outright fail.

eg: Some telephony software makes use of APIC timers on the motherboard for timing (because it is very precise)... this is an automatic failure guarantee when using virtualization, as the APIC timer is suddenly not so precise when going through the added virtual layer.

11. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

3cx also installs as windows services. A web host will not let you add services to their servers.

My new server is almost up and running (formating the drives as I type). I'm going to try Virtual PC and see how 3CX works. I'll do a full review when it's done.

12. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

Dont know about Virtual PC, but i can tell you thoug that it works in VMware, i tried this myself and had no problems.

CHeers

13. jimmy

I'm running this on vmware too, as my spare pc already is being used as a linux router. :)

Good system imho, i like it 8)

14. Urbok

Urbok New Member

I'm still using 3cx on microsoft virtual server.
    Is running on a sbs 2003 server vhd image. Works Perfect.

15. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

I think this poster meant if it will work on a virtual web host... The answer is no, a virtual web host is only for websites. We've managed to pass that stage of development luckily :)

It requires Windows. It can run fine on a virtual windows, although not as performant as running directly on a machine. That said for smaller installs it does not make a difference. We run our 25 extension system on a Virtual Machine with XP and 512 meg memory. I'd say from 5-10 simultaneous calls onwards it might be better to install it directly on the host.