• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Is it possible to recover Lets SSL Security key without a Version 15 backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiscardGP

Customer
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Hi

So here is what happened :-(

I attempted to upgrade from Version 14 to 15. Did so after reading all documentation and the process completed without any errors. However the PBX simply did not work. Could not identify fault after many hours trying so rolled back to version 14 without making a version 15 backup. My only excuse was that I was a bit frustrated at the time :oops:

Anyway is it the case that the SSL certificate I created during the failed upgrade to version 15 would have been saved in a backup, had I made one?

If so, is it possible to recover it and attempt to install version 15 using the same FQDN (which I assume is now linked to my License key)?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Likely won't exist now.. but perhaps you have Previous Versions (volume shadow copies) available?

C:\Program Files\3CX Phone System\Bin\nginx\conf\instance1 is where you'd find the cert/key pair of files.

You may need to slap them into openssl somewhere to generate a PFX before 14 can do something with them.
I've been mired in 15 for so long I forgot how 14's certs even worked.. I know they weren't required for install like 15!..

Thanks Ian

Unfortunately not possible to recover certificate that way as I restored the drive from a backup made before 15 was installed.

After this experience I think I would rather use my own FQDN and SSL.

My domain is registered with Namecheap who do provide certificates, but I simply do not know how to set it all up.

If you opted for a 3CX FQDN the first time and the SSL was auto generated then your key is bound to that FQDN.
So if you run through the installer again use the same key and when you re asked for an FQDN opt for a 3CX again and use the same hostname. The certificates will be generated again.

If you would like to use your own FQDN then you must provide the certificates for it. The installer will ask you for the certificates and will apply them automatically.

Hi YiannisH,

Thank you for that information.

Very helpful and answers my question completely. Hopefully problem solved.

Many thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.