Is it possible to use remote extensions and DDNS?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dopenkly, Jan 27, 2007.

1. dopenkly

As I've only been studying voIP technologies for several days my terminology might be incorrect and/or my understanding. Please feel free to educate me if I mispeak.

I've been able to get the system up and running with three softphones (one on a laptop, one on a pocket pc, and one on a standard computer). In the future, I'm going to use a PAP2 and hook up my regular phones. I will not have a PTSN, so I won't be using a FXO Gateway. I was thinking that it would be convenient to set up the pocket PC in a way that allowed me to jump networks and still remain connected as an extension.

To clarify by example: I sit in my home office and am connected to the network that the 3CX server resides on. I want to be able to go to the coffeshop down the street, connect to their network and still appear as an extension.

I was wondering if I could just use DDNS and type the domain name in for the info, so long as I had my home office router forwarding the appropriate ports, and then restrict this type of connection by the MAC address of the NIC in my pocket PC...

That's all.... great product, fun stuff to play with.....

thanks!

2. rascott757

It should work

In theory, it should still work. I have the same setup at home and when I dial in it appears to connect just fine. I just don't have anyone at home to answer to confirm that it does... But it does indicate that it connects.

3. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

It should work. Another way to do it is via a VPN connection. If you can VPN into your network then you can also use your SIP phone. THis might be easier.... If you have a firewall that allows you to setup a VPN client easily.

4. dopenkly

it works

Yeah, I set up a VPN connection... and after reading more that I wanted to about split tunneling, it works!

thanks and super cool software!

I hope to deploy it in a few buisness environments when your enterprise version is released... hopefully you'll get some revenue out of that!

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

That would be great! Nice to hear its working well...

6. no1daag

Hello dopenkly

Looking for just the same solution can you tell me how you solution and setup is done?

Perhaps it