Is there anyway to change outbound number based on dial code?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by wilh, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilh

Hi

I'm looking at migrating a client away from an existing PBX and this is at the moment the only thing I can't seem to recreate on 3CX.

Basically they operate under a few different names and they have a few different telephone numbers.

Inbound works fine - different queues/different names displayed and there are no issues.

The problem however is that they want to be able to dial out via withheld as default, or a prefix to change the outbound number.

At the moment, a workaround I have done is that there are 4 extensions on the phone, each one has a different outbound called ID set, and they simply chose which one to make the call from, but, this is less than perfect and they are not too happy with it.

(Also, I can't seem to get block outbound ID working, but, I am trying to work with my sip carrier on that...)

Does anyone know if it is possible to do what they want on 3CX?

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Am not exactly sure, but I gather that they are using SIP and they want the CID to be configurable on the fly? In other words, they would like to have control of how the callee will see the CID based upon the caller's ability to manipulate it.

One way is as you have suggested. Another is by using the 3CX softphone and changing the CID at the account level. Another is to get with the SIP provider and see if they will allow for multiple trunks where you can assign one associated desired CID to each and then use a dial code in the dial string (9-555-555-5555 for trunk 1, 8-555-555-5555 for trunk 2, etc.) and strip the code used to reach whichever trunk is need for that desired CID. .

The defaut dial code *5 is used to block CID, but this ay be carrier dependent as some will insert the trunk number regardless of whether 3CX sends or not.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

How does the existing system accomplish this? Does it have a feature that inserts a particular number depending on the prefix dialled, or is it based on the actual outgoing trunk the call uses?

The sort of option has been requested in the past by a number of users. If you have a look through the 3CX Ideas you should come across it, perhaps you could "up-vote". http://www.3cx.com/forums/3cx-ideas-f57.html

4. wilh

Yeah - that's what I am trying to do.

They are currently trying to get withholding working for me as it looks like it defaults to the first phone number in the range... but, is there anyway to turn this on by default when it is? e.g. can I put *5xxx as an caller id on an extension? (I would try, but, as I can't get it working normally, I don't know yet).

I doubt I will be able to get an extra trunk just for this, so, that is annoying...

5. wilh

Hi Lee,

The current system is an Avaya with flexible rules, they are allowed to present one of around 30 different numbers (0845/0870/0800 and more), and the company simply dials something along the lines of *01xxx or *02xxxx and the outbound automatically gets displayed as the correct number.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As far as withholding (blocking) the outgoing number... in the UK, the normal BT code (prefix) is 141. Does that work with your provider, do they use something else? If so, then outbound rules could be created to insert it, depending on the rule (number dialled), the call followed.

7. wilh

In all honesty, the withheld is hardly used, and, I'm comfortable that when the company get back to me, that will be resolved and it isn't an issue to do *5 or a 3CX version.

The big worry I have is the main lines and how to achieve similar functionality of their current PBX - this is the only part I haven't been able to implement!

8. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I realize that this might not be exactly what the OP wants, but just today we released a new document that outlines how you can have a different Caller ID for each extension depending on which Trunk it is making the call out from.

http://www.3cx.com/docs/multiple-outbound-caller-ids/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.