Is this possible?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by retailx, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retailx

Apologies is this is a stupid question but...

On a Grandstream GXW-4104 I have inserted 2 phycial lines into two PSTN line ports. Our main incoming calls come through on port 1. We have an old FAX line connected to port 2.

We have 3CX working with the Grandsream; and all is managed well except for this one issue.

Can we have the Grandstream or 3CX (V9) manage incoming calls, such that, if our main line (on Port 1) is busy that the call gets managed so that the caller does not hear an engaged tone?

At the moment if the line is busy the caller just hears a busy tone. Is there any way we can have the aller directed to the second PSTN port (i.e. our old fax line) and then onwards to 3CX?

This might not make any sense to anyone but I do appreciate your time in reading the message!

Niall

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This is something that your PSTN provider would have to implement. It can be called a Hunt group (when a number of lines are ordered as a bundle) , or a feature (option) such as Call Forward Busy (might be called something else in your area) is added to the first line, sending calls to the second when engaged.

If your second line has the fax machine on it, and it is set to answer, then callers will get a fax tone when the first line is busy. You would have to bring the second line into 3CX as a second trunk and leave the Fax set to not answer unless you were actually expecting a fax.

3. retailx

Leejor

thanks for the reply. Basic stuff I know but it has been a while since I configured my last 3CX box (2006...!)

We have removed our fax so this line is a free line at the moment. I was wondering if there was some management software on the Grandstream box that would manage this hunting group for me without going back to the telecoms providers?

Since both lines go into the Grandstream I was hoping that the Grandstream could recognise that Line 1 was busy and forward/switch the caller to Line 2

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

How would the Grandstream know that a second call were coming in when the first line were busy? A call waiting tone would only be sent if that service were subscribed to, even then then, the only thing any device (or a human) could do would be a "flash" and then take the call on that line. It could not be transferred to the second PSTN line by a device. For what you want, your only option is having a "Call Forward Busy" feature added to the first line, or both lines put in a Hunt Group. The CFB feature would be the least cost.

Your PSTN provider must be involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.