Issue with Ver 10 restore to ver 11

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by leejor, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm having an issue with a version 10 back-up (several actually) when restored to Version 11.
    I've done this twice before on almost identical machines (Intel Atom Motherboard, 2Gb ram, Win XP Pro), they run fine.
    System has been running version 10 with no issues.
    Did two 3CX Back-ups, just to be on the safe side. UnInstalled version 10, re-booted, installed recent download of version 11, no issues. Applied most recent 3CX back-up, then applied Demo licence.

Now everything seems fine...VoIP providers are up and registered, Firewall check passes, no error messages, but, no ATA' s or the gateway will register.
    There is no sign in the logs of incoming registration attempts, However I do see that the STUN server shows a failure (3 attempts).
    Wireshark run on the 3CX server sees the registration attempts coming from the ATA's, but no response from 3CX.

Installation was attempted twice, no luck.

Took the machine home and installed Ver 11 a third time, this time applying a backup from my own system (most ATA's, and the network /IP's set-up are identical), everything works just fine, which eliminates a hardware issue with the PC.

So, I applied an older backup from the original location, same result, VoIP is fine, but no registration of any LAN devices.

I've gone over all Network settings in 3CX, it all appears to be "normal"

I can access the 3CX config page from another computer, and access from a browser to the net is fine.

It's as if 3CX isn't monitoring port 5060, as the logs don't show any activity. I even changed the port number, saved it then changed it back...no dice. There is no difference, still doesn't work, even before the application of the Demo key.

It is obviously something to do with the back-up that i am applying, but I'll be damned if I can pinpoint what it is.

I ran out of time today, but i was going to attempt to apply even older Version 10 back-up. I really don't want to have to manually configure the whole thing over again.

Any one else seen this sort of thing crop up before, any other suggestions?

2. kevin

kevin Member

@leejor

V11 now has an Anti-Hacking module with automatic IP Address blacklisting - check if this has kicked in. Also make sure you have no Windows Firewall or alternative firewall running on the PBX machine, at least until you have tracked this down.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I had checked the blacklisted IP's, nothing in there to prevent internal IP's from connecting. I had disabled Windows Firewall when I first had the problem, thinking that might be it, but it didn't make a difference, so I turned it back on. There is no other firewall programme running on the machine.

I will have some time this afternoon to work on it again. The frustrating part is that Version 11 installed without any problem on two other machines (one is a powered off standby) that I built from scratch. slightly faster Intel MB with Atom processors, but software (operating system) is all same. The fact the same machine worked when my backup was installed, but won't when the other site backup is installed, tells me that it is something in the backup causing the issue.

4. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

No response at 5060?

Perhaps that restore is leaving the system not listening.
    netstat -ban | clip and paste to your favorite text editor.. like Notepad++.

Doing it on my v11 and searching for all 5060 yield this..

Code:
    Line 25:   TCP    0.0.0.0:5060           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
    	Line 108:   TCP    127.0.0.1:5060         127.0.0.1:49208        ESTABLISHED
    	Line 110:   TCP    127.0.0.1:5060         127.0.0.1:49324        ESTABLISHED
    	Line 162:   TCP    127.0.0.1:49208        127.0.0.1:5060         ESTABLISHED
    	Line 190:   TCP    127.0.0.1:49324        127.0.0.1:5060         ESTABLISHED
    	Line 289:   UDP    10.100.1.111:5060      *:*                    
    	Line 309:   UDP    127.0.0.1:5060         *:*                    
    The process name will list under the first line.. so I can see that 3CXPhoneSystem.exe is listening at UDP 10.100.1.111:5060.

Yeah, it's the lengthy way to suggest checking that your restored config ends up with a process actually listening on that port you are not seeing any response from. Between that and the blacklist, doesn't seem that other things would interfere now versus before.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Tried that, compared the working, (but Ethernet plug out so as not to cause Ip conflict) to non working. there are a few differences, as you can see, but I'm not sure if something indicates an issue.

I then applied a much older backup, that made no difference either, still no signs of registration attempts. tried to apply a version 10 backup from my system, that caused a failure of the 3CX backup restore. It asked if i wanted to submit a report, which i said yes to, but, it ended up saying that the server would not accept it, or something to that affect.
    At that point I could not log into 3CX. I then applied the last backup from the original system 9that was the first backup that I had tried to apply. Of course, that still doesn't work. I've looked over the XML file in the backup, and if it were a bit smaller i was considering cutting and pasting the gateway and extension parameters from the version 10 to the working version 11. There are a few other things that would have to be "corrected", but probably much less work (if it succeeded) than having to re-build from scratch.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well...after trying one more older version 10 backup with no luck I decided to try restoring the last version 9 backup that was done just before the previous upgrade. There have not been a lot of changes on the machine and I have a paper log of them in any event.

Voilà...it works.

So, it has to be something in the version 10 backup(s) that version 11 doesn't like, which is a bit of a worry.

I spent last evening looking over the XML file and comparing it to a working backup from my system, no glaring differences, but it is a big file.

7. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

The glaring difference would be whether UDP 5060 has a process listening or not.. I can't see from this.
    If the process isn't listening to the port.. it would fail to respond to anything of course.
    Not that it would help.. but the restore may not properly providing the config where to find the config for listening to 5060.

That being said, I have had plenty of instances (almost all of them) where the backup/uninstall/install new/restore config to the new version has left ghosts in the shell.. config items or glitches would could not be explained.

That being said.. try changing the SIPPORT custom parameter from 5060 to something.. restart services, flip back, restart again. Alternatively, the SIP Port value in Ports..

Still feels like one of these ghosts. While I'm hopeful that the transition to v12 will be better.. I'm not holding my breath. It's been problematic since we started at v8 to v9 or v10.. and v9 to v10 or v11. v10 clients.. we've kept them there for the now.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I did try that, thinking, that, for some reason, even though it showed port 5060 in the settings, it was actually using another port. it didn't help.

I'm going to load version 11 on another "new" (3CX virgin) machine, and try another restore with the version 10 backup that was failing, then I will try with a version 11 backup that I just made, after restoring the version 9 backup, and making some modifications to bring it up to date. Hopefully, by the weekend.

9. complex1

complex1 Active Member

@leejor

I thought having read in other posts that you are using dyndns, so what you can try after the restore is to refill your “Static Public IP” and “Local SIP domain” fields to see if your LAN devices will register again with 3CX server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Since I don't use a static public IP, the field has never held any data. The DynDNS info is in the domain name, but I'm not sure how that would affect local devices. Besides security verification, of any outside extension/device attempting registration using a URL (the domain name), rather than an IP, I'm not sure that it serves another purpose. Since I'm not seeing any registration attempts at all, I'm thinking that it is something else.

As time allows, I'm going to pursue this.

Update...It's going to have to wait a few weeks as I'll be out of town

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.