Issues with International Caller ID and 3cx

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Ben Beige, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Beige

I have a customer w/ a 3CX 14 system and 2 SIP trunk services. They are having issues w/ international caller ID reporting as being form Russia and not the US as they are in the +1724 area code in the US. I was wondering if anyone had seen this happen in the past and resolved it.

Personally I mostly believe it is carrier related on the one outbound trunk, though it is being reported as being on both I typically don't see international calls being made out bound on the other one.

(we provide 1 trunk and management of their PBX on my end)

Any thoughts?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This is outbound caller ID (what called parties are seeing), or what you are seeing (incoming calls) on your sets? If a + is included as a prefix in caller ID, then the next digit is expected to be a country code, as in "1", for North America.

3. Ben Beige

yeah they are all the +1724XXXXXXX (main DID for the company)

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So the called party (all called parties?) see the number in international format. Do you use the + and or 1 as a prefix in any outbound caller Id settings, or is this being added by your provider. If the called party receives some sort of indication (name display?), that the call is from Russia, then your provider, or the provider at the called end is incorrectly adding that name. I would speak to your provider asking them if the are prefixing outgoing numbers with +1 (once you are certain that you are not doing it), and if they add a caller name.
    Russia uses +7, So someone's database seems to be incorrect.

5. Ben Beige

What I am thinking is that Windstream is stripping the +1 completely from the CID and only passing 724XXXXXXX as you're describing. I have a test running right now to run all international calling via the other trunk (the one I provide) to verify that the issue goes away.

I am fairly certain that my end users are generalizing and not actually trying the second trunk (they have a dial code for each)

6. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Most US providers add 1 in front of international caller IDs, they simply ignore the rest of the world and treat the number as US long distance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So this is an issue with US numbers being passed to destination outside the US? Traditionally, within North America, for North American numbers (and, of course, this can vary by provider), CID is 10 digits. Local providers can prefix with a 1 as needed, to send to an end user, identifying it as a long distance call, but it isn't a given. When sending outside of NA, a +1 can be added before being passed to an overseas carrier, but also,not a given. Usually that is left to the terminating provider to help identify the country of origin. It sounds as if somewhere along the line, someone is not identifying the calls origin, and, based on the number they are given, identify as coming from Russia. Does the called party actually see the word "Russia' on a display (i.e. are they in an area that provides caller name?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.