• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Job titles for users/extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenvil

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a query about how people manage Job titles for users with a given extension. Do you create and maintain a company phone book and add relevant info to the "other" area, or do you append job title to their surname or something like that. Perhaps even create extension groups based on department.

Currently, we have a Microsoft Lync implementation that allows our reception to search based on job title for those tricky calls where the person doesn't quite know the name of the contact they are after. She can type a generic enrty like IT, systems engineer, sales etc etc and see a list of people that have that information populated in their active directory account.

I'd love to be able to put job title info in so our receptionist can search based on that, but can't find a way. I'd also don't want to have to maintain a company phone book for internal extensions, unless that really is the only way to do it, and from what i can see, it doubles up everyone anyway.

Anyone encountered this need along the way? I'd hate to think i have to dump the users info out of active directory and give them a spreadsheet to trawl through, but its looking like that the way i'm headed.

cheers
steve

It's a what you see with 3CX is what you get. There are no additional fields available at the extension level to carry both names and a job title. You could carry the user name in the first line and then the job title in the second (last name field). This would require some manipulation of the fields in the AD as 3CX does not support field mapping.
http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/import-active-directory/

I am uncertain how you envision this working as the size of the company may influence your need. If a large company I can see where a need might exist to be able to sort on the job title as most of the presentations are based upon extension #.

As alternatives, you might consider grouping extensions to a particular department or function and/or you might consider setting up extension groups so further refine ...assuming the 3CX client is installed at the operator.

Sorry, maybe others have more experience and alternatives to offer. If not, you can always submit a feature request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damiano giannini
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.