• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Keep 3CX v16 in Sync with Office 365

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyriakosP

3CX Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good for Office 365 users. Great also the integration into the directory.
But, how about 3CX and Exchange? Will the existing functionality be still present?

After installing a test version over the Weekend:
Answering my own question: Yes, the options to integrate exchange to get the users contacts is still present.
Active directory integration seems not possible only azure active directory.

The import button under Extensions says "Office 365" and not "Active Directory"...
Or are you looking at another feature besides Extensions?

This was only a note, if someone asks himself if the Office 365 integration has been going along with an Active Directory integration.

Hi @nobody

Active Directory integration can be found under "Extensions" > "Import" > "Import AD". There you can set the options to access a local or remote Active Directory Domain Controller.

Hi KyriakosP,
Thank you. Great that not only office 365 but also Active directory is supported.

Will v16 enable Exchange Sync to also sync contact pictures?
We put a lot of effort into our exchange contacts, so a lot of them got a picture to it, but sadly it is not used by the current sync :-/

This is a great idea, but we would like to see the mapping to be configurable per user. Default is fine, but allow us to override it.

Also, how will this interact with Auto Change Status when Idle? Who wins?

I can see where these two features might be used together, but we need to make sure they do not conflict.

Tim Schulte
ACCENTLOGIC

Hi @accentlogic,

Thanks for your feedback. I suppose you refer to the new "Sync Extension Status with Office 365 Calendar" function. The status synchronization is event-driven, so the status can be set by the user's Office 365 calendar entry, as well as the "Auto Change Status when Idle" feature. The last event received by the PBX sets the current status for the extension.

If you have any feature or functionality suggestions, use our "Ideas" forum to propose to our development team for consideration:
https://www.3cx.com/community/forums/3cx-ideas/

Reactions: accentlogic
Will this require PRO licencing or be included with standard?

Reactions: KyriakosP
Hi @poynter.net and thank you for your feedback.

Yes, v16 Office 365 integration will require a Professional or Enterprise license.

I was able to successfully login and that tests out okay, but none of my contacts have synced yet. How exactly does it verify which user is which? Name, or email address? My display name on Office 365 is Kyle at Total Tech Team, but my extension name is Kyle Lastname. The email addresses are the same, though. But, I haven't gotten any contacts to import! Also, is there a way to sync a user's contacts with the entire company address book in 3CX?

Hi
Clarification 1: Exchange button in Contacts - this is for legacy exchange systems. If you put office 365 details in here (as we were advertising in earlier versions) it will still work. But not for long because the API used in this part, will be dropped by MS. This button is to be used only for Exchange. So if you have exchange use this section. If you have office 365, we need you to blank out this part and go to Settings > Office 365 where you will be using the new MS Graph API. This is the api moving forward.

Assuming you have office 365 configured correctly, check if you have any notification messages in the office 365 section? (Normally at the top of the page).

Select user import : users will be imported based on the email. So an extension will be created in 3CX with the user details from Office 365 users.
A group is created "Azure AD" and the imported users we got from Office 365 are put in the default group and also in this new group Azure AD.

to sync contacts, click on the second tab, and select the extension / user you want to sync contacts

Note: Private contacts are synced for users only.

Public contacts / or folders are not synced to company phonebook because at the time of development the Microsoft API For Groups was still in Beta. Now it is not, but now we have other things to do.

So this is the only missing part we have right now.

We re-checked this right now to be 100% sure that Microsoft services are working and can confirm that everything works as expected.

Reactions: jed and accentlogic
This is a great solution, but I would like to set start extension number with synchronize from Office 365 users. Is it possible?

Hi
You can do from the following options:
Sync all - Everything (not what you want)
Sync all except these -> and select the ones you do not want to sync
Sync only these -> and select the ones you do not want to sync

I understand what you want to do - and I agree with you - you want to reduce making changes so you want to sync any extension created after ext number 200. You can add this to the ideas section. Valid point!

We do not have this option - but i can recommend the best one from the current available options : Go for option 2: "Sync all except these -> and select the ones you do not want to sync". Add the extensions that you do not want to sync. Everything else and every extension that is added after, will be automatically synced.

Hi
Clarification 1: Exchange button in Contacts - this is for legacy exchange systems. If you put office 365 details in here (as we were advertising in earlier versions) it will still work. But not for long because the API used in this part, will be dropped by MS. This button is to be used only for Exchange. So if you have exchange use this section. If you have office 365, we need you to blank out this part and go to Settings > Office 365 where you will be using the new MS Graph API. This is the api moving forward.

Assuming you have office 365 configured correctly, check if you have any notification messages in the office 365 section? (Normally at the top of the page).

Select user import : users will be imported based on the email. So an extension will be created in 3CX with the user details from Office 365 users.
A group is created "Azure AD" and the imported users we got from Office 365 are put in the default group and also in this new group Azure AD.

to sync contacts, click on the second tab, and select the extension / user you want to sync contacts

Note: Private contacts are synced for users only.

Public contacts / or folders are not synced to company phonebook because at the time of development the Microsoft API For Groups was still in Beta. Now it is not, but now we have other things to do.

So this is the only missing part we have right now.

We re-checked this right now to be 100% sure that Microsoft services are working and can confirm that everything works as expected.

Contact sync is not working at all, for many people. Please see this thread: https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/sync-contacts-from-3cx-to-office-365.63371/

Hello,
I've take a look on the new Office-365 User sync feature in V16.

The EMail address imported isn't the primary email address of the user, it's the login name. This isn't the same and all imported mail addresses are wrong.
Is there a way to choose specific extension numbers for the imported Office 365 users?

Regards
Markus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.