KX-TGP500B01

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by DesCheah, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesCheah

Hi everyone,

What is the range or distance when KX-TGP500B01 remove from its Dect can go for? Is KX-TGP500B01 a long range phone?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

DECT, in itself is limited to a certain range depending on the maximum output (wattage) allowed by regulators, in the country in which it is used. Some DECT systems have the ability to use range extenders (repeaters) and/or the ability to register to more than one base unit. If you check with the manufacturer there should be a distance range, indoor and outdoor, which will vary. Most handsets will be similar, features and durability will vary.

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I have a number of clients that use these. As Leejor points out the range is determined by whether it is used indoors or out and the density of the obstacles that the signal must go through. I have one client that has a set that reaches approximately 150 feet without issue through 1 relatively thin wall. I have another client that is getting close to 100 feet, but through 3 relatively thick walls (all heavily insulated) of which 2 are at a slant angle to the signal (meaning that if a wall is say 4" thick, that on a slant angle the signal will traverse the wall at an angle thereby effectively making the wall quite a bit thicker). Outside, I have seen 200 feet without any issue, but did not have a need to test further.

I assume that no changes have been made to the design that would reduce the range. Both of these sets have been in use for several years.

4. DesCheah

Thanks for your comment, guys. Cheers.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A number of years ago I remember a 900 mhz cordless phone that allowed the connection of an external antenna to the base unit for use outside. I'm not certain as to the current legality, or even availability of this sort of thing (with a DECT set) as power output is very highly regulated, and, of course, the handsets output is rather limited, for safety reasons.

Most DECT sets, on the same frequency, consumer or commercial, should have, pretty close to, the same range from a single base unit. The internal antenna design will have an influence, but probably not much more than the surroundings, when used indoors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.