Large system... lots of analog extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jjones, May 22, 2007.

1. jjones

I have a need to replace an old phone system in a hurry. There are about 100 analog extensions and 6 phone lines.

Could I use a device like the patton SmartNode 4900 along with 3CX to accomplish this? I know I'd need a few of them... but I just wonder how well it would work.

Would each FXS/FXO port show up as a SIP extension/trunk?

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Yes, Patton would definitely do the job. Or just replace the analog phones themselves as well?

Each analog phone would be configured as an extension and show up as an extension on the system

3. jjones

As much as I'd like to, we are not able to replace all of them at this time. We'll probably start with about 20 SIP phones and 2 or three of the 32port FXS gateways... and one 8port FXO box.

What kind of specs would I need on the PC to run such a system?

Thanks,

Jim

4. Costas3CX

Costas3CX New Member

Hey Jim,

Our software is not heavy on the hardware. On the contrary. But I would still go for a 1G ram, and any P4 or later CPU machine. Other than that, no other specs I would opt for. One of my test machines is a virtual machine with 512Mbytes ram running with hundreds of extensions and tens of lines and works fine even with 512MB ram.

So its up to you if you want to go for the absolute minimum specs or just get sth that won't need any upgrading for years.

5. jjones

Ok, in looking for pricing on the patton stuff, I ran across this Audiocodes device for less that half the price (granted it is only 24 FXS lines):
    http://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=1817

Will this work the same way? Is it supported? Is one better than the other?

Thanks,

Jim

6. TwigsUSAN

Audiocodes are currently not a supported gateway. Some people have been able to get them to work with the 3CX phone system. However they are EXTREMELY difficult to figure out. I currently have to deal with them because of one client, and some days I've loss a ton of hair because of them.

Patton on the other had is supported and they have supplied a configuration guide under the support page.

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi,

You right TWIGSusan, but we have recently worked on expanding our supported list and have just created a config guide for audiocodes:

http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/audiocodes-mp.html

We did the tests and this should work fine....

8. jjones

Cool, but does it also work with their FXS gateways?

Thanks,

Jim

9. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

I assume configuration is very similar if not identical. But i cant be sure, maybe you check with audiocodes...