Latest update broke provisioning on polycom IP550

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by WSL, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSL

WSL

Hi.

Anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this one?

After the last update, the polycom IP550 is freezing/rebooting every couple of hours. In 3CX I've deleted it and re-added it, I've reset the phone and reprovisioned it, but no luck.

When I drill into the phone's status menu, it specifies that there are:
    - 'missing files, config.reverted'
    - 'Errors Found: 242'
    - 'Duplicate Parameters Found: 1'
    There's also a red flashing light on the phone.

Prior to the update, the system was rock solid, no light on the phone etc.

The server is running on debian.

2. WSL

WSL

I've rolled the 3cx service back to pre-upgrade state, and it's back to normal. Phone has no issues.

Not really much of a solution...

3. WSL

WSL

Doing some more diagnostics.

After the update, the phone (Polycom IP550) is detected as an IP650 (even after deleting it, wiping all config from the phone, and re-adding it as a IP550. It's also showing as 'UNPROVISIONED', even though it clearly provisions itself once it's added to the extension and rebooted. The phone works for about 2 hours, then it hangs. That's (temporarily) resolved by power cycling the phone.

Any ideas on where to look or how to debug this any further?

4. Alexander Clark

We have two Polycom phones (an SPIP550 and an SPIP670) that began freezing approximately once per day following the installation of V15 SP5. We were previously running SP4 without any issues. None of our other 40 phones have exhibited any such issues, but these two phones are 2 of the only 3 that are configured with BLF presence indicators, so that may be a factor here. When the phones freeze, the only solution is to power cycle the phone, since all the UI inputs are frozen. We haven't yet rolled back to SP4 in hope that there can be a quick fix.

5. WSL

WSL

That's exactly the same symptoms as I have. In the 3cx management console, are the Polycom phones marked as unprovisioned?

6. Damian Spiewak

Me too ... on VVX310 and VVX600 but phones stayes mareked as provisioned

Tex Ellison likes this.
  7. Tex Ellison

We have the exact same issue. We opened up a couple tickets and after sending pcap and logs our tickets were closed on us with the response, "You need to call Polycom, it's your phone." We have 10 phones all SP IP 550 that lock up. We have put firmware versions 4.0.1.x to 4.0.11.X and they still lock up. We have other IP 550s on 3.3.X all the way to 4.0.10 which is what we were told they should be and those phones are fine. We've done factory resets and everything under the sun to get these phones to stop locking up to no avail.

We actually ran into several more issues after SP5 the resolutions to those were either not documented, not in the release notes, or not clearly written up in any existing documentation... eventhough, we had run fine in our current setup for a couple years.

Something in SP5 definitely caused us some issues and we've received no help in resolving it to date.

8. Damian Spiewak

Hi Tex... You have 10 .. I have .... 200 :/ Our tech partner investigating this issue with Polycom and 3CX tech support.
    I'll let you know when they find something interesting

Tex Ellison likes this.
  9. Tex Ellison

Wow, Damian. I feel for you man. I found a doc that gives instructions on how to downgrade the phones from 4.x to 3.3.x and wanted to try it http://support.polycom.com/global/d...oice/Upgrade_Downgrade_UCS_v4_0_0_EA64731.pdf That might get the freezing phones up again but it's just a theory at this point. I have phones on 3.3.3, 3.3.5 and none of those have locked up All those that have locked up are on 4.0.1-4.0.11 versions. I hunch says it's a combination of the firmware and SP5...

If my test with 3.3.x downgrade works and they stop freezing, I'll let you guys know. if you find a solution, please, let us all know!

10. Tex Ellison

Well, this morning, we had EVERY single phone in our environment either freeze, reboot, or receive an error message at exactly the same time. Every IP 550 with firmware 4.X locked up, those with 3.3.X rebooted, and even our VVX411s received an error message.IP 550s that had never locked up before did. 3CX support said to call Polycom to figure out what is wrong with the phones.... hmmmm. I do not understand why they will not even make an effort to figure out what the PBX did to cause it. One thing 3CX support did reiterate is that BLF is not supported on ANY IP 550 phone but wouldn't say this caused previous freezes.

11. Alexander Clark

As I expect has been the case with others, BLFs have always worked on our 550s, and they still work apart from when the phones freeze. This is occurring on a 670, too, so it's not just the 550s that are experiencing this issue. I hope that someone from 3CX is monitoring these forums, since it would appear to be pretty obvious that this was introduced in SP5.

12. Tex Ellison

We still had 3.3.X firmware phones freeze up. We are disabling any BLF options and will see if phones freezing frequently stop. AGAIN, this didn't happen prior to SP5 but we've been told this is a problem with our phones. :-|

13. Tex Ellison

I've opened 10 or so tickets since SP5 and they response has been either, "contact Polycom to see what is wrong with your phone" or "there is no problem with the PBX" a bunch of those tickets were just closed on us with the response, "We cannot fix a problem where none exists." So, it probably doesn't matter if someone is monitoring, they don't care about their customers. <-Bottomline

14. WSL

WSL

It's not the phones.

I run my 3CX virtualised, and take daily snapshot backups. Every weekend 3CX auto-updates and the Polycom IP550 breaks. Fortunately, I only have 1. I then roll the system back to the previous nights backup (to the pre-upgrade version), and everything works as normal. Well, until the next weekend that is, when the cycle repeats.

Blaming the phone is just lazy.

15. Alexander Clark

Do you guys have custom speed dials setup in your BLFs on the phones that are freezing? We've been able to get our two phones that were freezing to stop freezing by removing the custom speed dials on them. We're attempting to prove this out theory by adding a custom speed dial to another phone that hasn't been freezing to see if that causes it to begin freezing, but I thought I'd float this idea to others.

16. WSL

WSL

Yes, I've got some configured. I'll try removing and see what happens.

17. WSL

WSL

Removed them and phone is stable after 3CX upgrade. Great work working that out.

18. efp

efp

Also having the same issue when upgrading to 15 and now 15.5, why can't 3CX acknowledge this? In my case all my 15 Polycom 650's locked up within 24 hours. I then noticed my 6 550's did not lockup. The only difference was the 650's use BLF "change status" and they all used BLF "Shared Parking". I removed "change status" from the 650's and they are all stable. BLF "Shared Parking" is still active and working on all 650's and 550's.

19. smartsoft

We have the same issue here running Polycom version 4.04. This is not a Polycom issue as stated by 3CX. V15 SP5 and V15.5 both cause these industry standard phones to lockup and become unstable. Removed custom speed dials and call parking on BLF but phones still lockup. Reverting to V15 SP4 fixes this issue. The problem with V15SP4 is that FX/DECT provisioning is broken.

Crappy company culture to ignore multiple reports of this issue and to blame Polycom, the reason I have learnt not to trust the quality of 3CX upgrades and their support services. Haven't bothered to lodge a support ticket as it would be a waste of time.

Hope you are listening 3CX about your development and support for your business critical software!

#19 smartsoft, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  20. innovative7

Yes we had the same problem. 3CX support is very disappointing. Wouldn't give us the time of day and left us to deal with houndreds of broken phones. Good news is, we found the bug and we are working with Polycom on an engineering fix. While we replaced the Polycom 550 phones at the company we upgraded v15 3CX, we had houndreds of VVX500 Phones that were bad after the v15 upgrate. Our support case with Polycom is on the VVX500.

Here are the issues we had after finding the problem.

Poor 3CX rollback capability. We had trouble restoring a v15 backup to v14. I am guessing the backup database cannot go backwards. Could not use v14 as too much time had passed. I sort of laughed when 3CX put automatic updates as a feature. Russian roulette?

We were not able find 3CX server download for versions specific to v15 SP0, sp1, etc so that we could roll back to a previous version within the 15 version before the SP upgrade.

I agree with Smartsoft in his comment. He hit it on the head with "Crappy company culture". I don't call them anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.