• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Let one extension after another start ringing while keeping the first one still ringing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamo

Forum User
Reaction score
I want to achieve the following behavior: When someone calls our main number, extension 1 should start ringing. If no one picks up the call immediately, after some delay (lets say 10 seconds) extension 2 should also start ringing AND the first one should continue to ring. From there on, both extensions should continue to ring indefinitely until either someone answers the call or the caller hangs up. Seems pretty basic, but I couldn't get it to work.

With a ring group and the setting "prioritized hunt", the first extension stops ringing as soon as the second one starts. Not ideal.
Furthermore, after a far to short total ring time of 20 seconds, the call will be either ended or forwarded somewhere else (depending on what you set for "Destination if no answer" in the ring group). Also not good.

Another idea that came to mind was to create a dummy extension, put it in a ring group together with extension 1, set the ring group to "ring all" and let the dummy extension forward it's call to extension 2 after after a 10 second timeout. However, of course the dummy extension has no phone registered to it, which means it counts as unregistered and therefore timeout settings won't apply.

I needed a similar set up and the solution was basically a tiered ring group system...

Layer 1 - Ring group has the single extension you want to ring for x amount of seconds (Ring All), destination if no answer --> Connect to Queue / Ring Group: Layer 2

Layer 2 - Ring group has both the extension from Layer 1 and the additional extension (Ring All) so the first extension never stops ringing..

In Layer 2, you'll just need to set the ring time really high.. I actually have no idea of the maximum it can be set or if you'd need to eventually forward to a Layer 3 which mimes Layer 2.. guess it depends on the persistence of the caller.

Mine ended up with 3 layers and loops back into layer 1 so it never stops ringing until it's answered or the caller gives up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.