Solved License Activation Failed license_error.FailedToFindSuitableNetworkAdapter

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by sysadmin_at_lca, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sysadmin_at_lca

So, long story here, but the crux is I'm reinstalling 3CX V15.5 onto the same physical hardware and:
    • attempting to restore a backup made
    • or trying a fresh installation using the same key
    In either case I receive a license_error.FailedToFindSuitableNetworkAdaptor at the very end of the process (full uninstall, full reinstall with reboots between).

I can reach, ping and resolve activation.3cx.com, I've completed this installation previously and am an experienced IT person.

The customer (I'm doing the work on their behalf) doesn't have support, being an Affiliate partner only I don't have support either and I don't fancy paying $495 because of some non-technical administration/licensing protection setup at the 3CX end.

At best, as I see it, the error message is not pointing me to the correct cause so I can resolve it (there are adaptors in the PC, I've been using them, they resolve and download fine, DNS is working great, etc, etc).

Hope someone has seen the issue before and knows what the actual cause is and how to fix it.

(This reinstall is the result of trying to troubleshoot an issue with the ngix webserver would fail to stay running while trying to get the PC up and running on a 4G service while connected to their local LAN because they have a physical phone line fault which has knocked out their ADSL/Internet). It would appear that the ngix service doesn't like having 2 connections and would simply STOP with an event logged that provided no information as to the cause)

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Are you using 8.8.8.8 as DNS server, if not -- try with it. 3CX is not working reliably with other DNS servers, regardless you resolve specific 3CX sites.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sysadmin_at_lca

Thanks, sip.bg - while possibly not the answer it got my brain engaged to think about what else may have changed.

So, I had attempted changing the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 but thought I'd do a "full" test - updated DNS on the adaptor to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and fully rebooted PC.

On top of this since setting up the phone system originally and now my Internet had changed from ADSL (6/1) to Australian NBN Hybrid fibre/coax at 100/40.

In the cutover process the ISP had enabled an outbound firewall - so I'm not sure which of the two changes fixed the issue, but it fixed it!

Thank you for your input - it was just that right "nudge" to point me in the right direction.

As for what my ISP is blocking - it's things like outbound port 445, 135 and others of that type - pretty dodgy traffic really. Maybe the license activation process uses one of these ports and not just 80/443 for HTTP/HTTPS.

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Shouldbe the DNS only. Ports like 445 should be kept blocked.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Glad the issue is now resolved and thank you for sharing your solution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.