License downgrade (Pro-->Std and 120-->8 calls)

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by V11177, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V11177

One year ago we have acquired license through one of 3CX resellers, and it is definitely an "overkill":
    Professional Annual and 128 sim. calls.

Soon our license will expire and we what we actually need is Standard 8 sim. calls.
    According to our reseller, there is no possibility to downgrade, we should continue paying for the same Professional annual + 128 sim. calls or reinstall 3CX completely.

I seriously doubt it. Is it true?

Or what are the options?

#1 V11177, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  2. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Licences cannot be downgraded.

Depending on whether you are using the PRO licence features you could simply download a FREE key from the 3CX website and use this.

The FREE version is in fact a 16 simultaneous call standard key, but you would obviously need the skills to install and maintain the system - which I imagine you are paying the reseller to do currently.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I’ve seen some confusion on this license —- it is just for 1 year correct? Then you pay annual renewal fee?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. V11177

Well, our re-seller has never provided us any support. Moreover, they specifically mentioned that no support will be given according to the license condition.
    My management has acquired license for 128 sim. calls (pro edition, annual renewal) without knowing what "sim. calls" mean (they thought its total number of extensions).
    So, our company already paid quite a lot for something we had never used.

Now it is time to renew the license and all we need is standard edition 8 sim. calls (even 6 is enough). Installation/maintenance is provided in-house, by your fellow OP.

5. V11177

Nope, we do not use any Pro edition license features. It would be nice, though, to have maintenance (upgrades/updates) enabled.

6. jimbo59

jimbo59 Member

I recommend you file a complaint with 3CX regarding the reseller.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

If you are comfortable with administering and installing the system, get yourself a FREE 16 sim call standard off the website, you could maybe speak to another re-seller in your area as well for picking up the maintenance costs.

8. coastlinetech

Just to add on to what has already been said...

You can download the free license directly from 3CX for 16 sim calls and use it for a year, then after the year is over you can continue to pay the $295 to renew the standard annual license at 8 sim calls.

If you absolutely cannot find another trustworthy partner in your area to provide support, your company can purchase support directly from 3CX on a per ticket basis.

9. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

@V11177

So it is an annual license meaning it dies when the year is up. You don't need to 'renew' it. If you don't have any external extensions and thus don't really care about the current FQDN (assuming 3CX provided) you can just take a backup without license key/fqdn. Then buy a new annual license of the appropriate size/edition (or use the free edition) and restore, choosing a new FQDN in the process. If you want to keep the FQDN you can release the FQDN from your existing key, take that same backup and restore with your newly purchased key and try to reclaim it. Keep in mind that when you release it anyone can take the key.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/key-already-bound/

#9 cobaltit, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  10. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

I would like to look into this case. if all you needed is 8 STD and you got sold a 128 then you certainly dont need to renew your license - you can down grade it - and we will extend it free of charge. However please note that if you have 128 extensions, 8 sim calls will not be enough, maybe you need a 32 SC. Please email customers@3cx.com and refer to this thread and we will look into this matter and resolve in the fairest manner.

I also encourage you to speak to other 3CX resellers in your area:
    https://www.3cx.com/ordering/find-reseller/

craigreilly likes this.
  11. V11177

All,

Thank you very much for your answers!
    I will talk to my management to take appropriate steps.

12. V11177

@Nick Galea , we tried to email to customers@3cx.com, it got rejected. Could you please provide another address?

13. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

sorry about this, am looking into it

14. V11177

@Nick Galea
    Dear Nick,
    Sorry to bother you again, but I do not have any other means of contacting you.
    Have you received e-mail from my management yet? As I mentioned above, they have tried to
    contact you via customers@3cx.com but the message was bounced. Could you please provide another address? Or shall they just resend the message?

15. V11177

Nevermind!
    CSR Representative already answered our e-mail. Thank you!

16. Bahloul Tichou

for the transition from a standard edition to a pro edition, we just have to change the license key or there is a whole procedure???thank you

17. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Bahloul Tichou

Please note that you can upgrade your current from Std to Pro without changing the key or re-installing. To do so please contact one of our resellers or our sales department for more information.
    https://www.3cx.com/ordering/find-reseller/
    https://www.3cx.com/company/contact/

If you have already purchased a key you will need to re-install the system to apply the new key.
    To do so:

1. Perform a full backup of the system without including the option "Include License Key Information & FQDN"
    2. Un-install the system.
    3. Release the FQDN from the previous key by accessing the site customer.3cx.com with the credentials of the Std key.
    4. Re-install the system using the backup you created and the new license key and FQDN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.