• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

License key does not stay in server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dchagnon

Reaction score
Installed on 2003 server after reboot reverts to free version. Network not connected to internet.

It has to connect to the internet to get to the lic. server...

I should have been more specific. After the activation over the internet, the next and any subsequent reboot comes up as free version. I can then attach to internet re-activate works until next reboot.

the internet connection has also to be available when starting the computer.

So are you saying that unless I have an internet connection when the computer boots it will always fall back to free version? I spoke to 3CX and the partner and they say that is not the case.

two weeks ago, I installed a 3CX on a HyperV for a customer.
The Windows 7-VM where 3CX is installed, got some trouble with its network connection itself.
Specially when moving the VM from one HyperV to another.

In Win 7 and Server 2008, there are those 3 network types, I'm sure you know them (Private Network, Public Network, Office Network). My Win 7-VM messed up them up, and the 3CX Licence was lost.

That's my experience, which leads me to the conclusion that network / internet connection has to be available.

If the 3cx box can not connect to the 3cx license server the license will revert back to the free version. The 3cx server requires an internet connection to maintain its license activation.

I have seen this many times when setting up a customers server in my lab which does not have internet access. I have contacted 3cx support and verified this is the case and the server needs access to the internet.

Thank you Billy,Tom and Victor for confirming my suspicions. I will go back to 3cx usa and their partner and share this with them.

Saw this comment on the recent blog post:

@Brad – This is not normal. 3CX cannot forget the license it was activated with. What can happen though is that you might have multiple interfaces on your server/computer. Each interface has a MAC Address. What happens is that at the time of the activation, Windows selects Interface 1 as preferred. So the license request is sent via that interface and stores the mac.
After some time, based on usage and possibly an incorrectly configured host, windows will choose another interface as preferred. This will have a different mac. 3CX will see that the mac address of the preferred interface does not match the mac that the original license request was sent from and falls back to free.

For example if you have a bluetooth adapter, this can be selected for the activation process.
If you send me your license key I can tell you exactly what is happening.
-------

Maybe this is your issue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLK
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.