Solved License question for upgrade

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Mathieu Aras, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mathieu Aras

Hello,

We have 3CX V12 that we want to upgrade to V15. We bought a license for 15. In my 3CX panel i can see that the maintenance period is expired. The old key in my v12 is the same as the new one we received...
    Can we update V12 to 12.5 and then update to 14?

If i can update, here is my 2nd question.

Should i first take a backup of my V12, remove the 3cx and install 12.5. and do a restore?

Regards.

2. Telcreek

Hi Mathieu,

I've helped a couple of people through this. You need to make sure your 12 is up to date with the latest service pack first, SP6 I believe. You back that up, uninstall and then reinstall the next major release, which is either 12.5 or 14. In personal experience I did both, so 12 to 12.5 to 14 to 15 but was later informed this isn't necessary, you just can't skip more than one major release. So you could conceivably do 12SP6 -> 12.5 -> 15 or 12SP6 ->14 -> 15.

Update to 12SP6, backup config, uninstall. Install next major release, restore from backup, rinse and repeat.

It's not abnormal that you keep your same key even with an expired maintenance, entitlement happens server side. There are a couple of scenarios where a whole new key is more cost effective but generally updating the old key is less expense. If you have any trouble I am happy to help off forum.

Mathieu Aras likes this.
  3. Mathieu Aras

Thanks Telcreek! Problem solved. I followed your guide.

4. Telcreek

That's great! Glad it helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.