Licensing question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by David Forster, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Forster

May 3, 2017
    Hi, tried the new free v15.5 looks great, very clean and easy to use.

Quick question (no.1), I'm currently on V14 Pro and want to setup V15.5 Pro (with my license key) and get everything ready to switch over and do a few more tests etc.

Can I run both my v14 and v15.5 off the same license for a few days whilst I get everything moved over, or will activating the license on V15.5 disable my v14 install (thinking 7 days max).

Also (question 2), I believe there has been some change of position re the use of a license on a second backup machine. My idea, once all setup and working was to clone the machine and use FTP to backup config and restore to second machine once a day. If first machine ever failed I would manually alter external DNS to point to the backup server. Can I confirm this now requires two licenses even through it's not an automated failover and the external FQDN will remain the same for both servers. Guess it's not the end of the world If I can't do this as the footprint of the Unix install is so low a snapshot could be restored pretty quickly.

2. daktur

daktur New Member

Oct 15, 2015

As far As I know first you need to have valid maintenance in order to upgrade at no cost.

Second, at some point, and there is no way to predict when, your v14 license will be disabled on the next license check performed by the system.

Third, they have now a special license called Enterprise edition that already includes this special backup license you may consider upgrading your pro to the enterprise.

If you have a cloud server, you can also use daily backup oh mirroring service to recover the lost server, it should be faster than SMS replication to the new IP.

Hope you succeed!
    David Forster likes this.
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

May 10, 2016

Please note that by doing this you risk the activation server seeing that the key is activated on 2 installations and lock the key so neither of the installations will work. To get it working again you will need to talk with our sales department so they can release the key.
    I would recommend taking a full backup of V14 and migrating to V15. If you face any issues you always re-install v14 or you can use a free PBX key for the duration of your testing.

For your second question you can use a passive failover server but i would recommend upgrading to an Enterprise licence which can handle the activation from both servers
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.