Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Limit call duration by extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by e196, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e196

Hi,
    I’d like to know if there is a way to limit the allowed call duration for a particular extension.
    We have a couple of courtesy phones that are being abused with call lengths. I don’t want to totally remove the ability to call out, however I do want to limit how long the call can be connected.
    We are running 3CX ver 11.
    Thank you,
    Eric

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Normally, cutting someone's phone call off mid-conversation is not a desirable feature. I recall there being a maximum duration setting in 3CX but I believe it is system wide, not just one extension.

That said, there may be some ATA's that have this ability. I do know that the Linksys 3102 has a timer on the PSTN portion, that can limit call time. There is a setting for both PSTN to VoIP and vice versa. Unfortunately, the FXS port does not have this feature. If you are desperate, you could create outbound rules specific to that set. Cause any outbound call to route to a new trunk that uses the 3102, this could then come out as analogue and go to an ATA, that would then pass the call out on your "normal" trunks. With the 3102 in-line, you could set a time limit.

Set-->3CX (route to trunk using 3102)-->3102 (PSTN analogue)--> ATA-->3CX-->(normal outbound rules)-->outside call

3. e196

For that particular extension we're using a Linksys PAP2, which does not appear to have the timer options as the 3102.
    Thank you Leejor for your response, I appreciate it.
    Eric

4. complex1

complex1 Active Member

The Grandstream HT701 ATA also have this ability.
    “Outgoing Call Duration Limit: 0 (0-180 minutes, default is 0 (No Limit))”

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The 3102 does not have that option on the ATA side either, only on the gateway side. If the Grandstream HT701 has it, as suggested by complex1, then that would be the way to go.

The method I had suggested would work with any set, ATA, or VoIP, and more than one, although, only one could use it at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.