Line 1 on SPA3102 - Call Recipients Can't Hear Me

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Mingers, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Mingers

Hi all,

After a bit of learning and blowing away my setup a few times to wring out some early problems I've got the following setup (apologies for the crude diagram, everything is on my local network):

PSTN
    |
    |
    SPA3102 --- WRT54GS (connected to Internet) --- 3CX Server --- 2 softphones
    |
    |
    Telephone

My problem is that when I call out from the telephone (connected to the SPA3102 which is programmed as an extension of the 3CX server) I can hear the call recipient but they cannot hear me. If I force my call to go out over the PSTN on the SPA3102 the call recipient can hear me.

The softphone clients have no problems with either making or receiving VoIP and PSTN calls.

Furthermore, when an inbound call comes in from either VoIP or the PSTN to the regular telephone the remote party can hear me without a problem. When I call another extension from the telephone to either softphone it also works fine (and also vice versa).

The problem only manifests itself when I use the regular telephone to place a VoIP call. The call setup and termination work as expected.

Things I have done are:

1) Punched holes in the firewall on the 3CX server,
    2) Completely disabled the firewall on the 3CX server,
    3) Added STUN server details into the SPA3102,
    4) Setup SPA3102 as a PSTN gateway on the 3CX server (which works),
    5) Setup Line 1 on SPA3102 as an extension on the 3CX server (also works),

One thing to note is that I have connected the WAN port on my SPA3102 to my WRT54GS. I don't want to use the router functionality on the SPA3102 as the WRT54GS already performs this task. I did have the SPA3102 connected via the LAN port originally but read somewhere that I should have it connected via the WAN port to my existing router.

Any ideas folks? My wife isn't too worried as long as she can receive calls via her softphone (which works like a charm) but I'd like to have it all working as it should.

Thanks in advance!

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi,

If the call recipient cant hear you, its almost certainly a firewall configuration issue. Check the server status log for more information. The log will list ports that have to be opened. Check they are really open...

Itfarmer made a very good guide

http://www.dayboro.info/3cx/Take2/NetworkView.htm

Make sure you follow that.....

3. retailx

You say....

"One thing to note is that I have connected the WAN port on my SPA3102 to my WRT54GS. I don't want to use the router functionality on the SPA3102 as the WRT54GS already performs this task. I did have the SPA3102 connected via the LAN port originally but read somewhere that I should have it connected via the WAN port to my existing router. "

I am using an SPA3102 and having issues. I also do not want to use the router capability as I already have this covered. I have connected the SPA3102 to my LAN using the Ethernet port on the back of the SPA3102- are you saying that I should connect the SPA3102 directly to my existing b/band router using the WAN connection?

Thanks

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is correct.

The WAN port is used to connect to the broad band router. In theory you can hang a computer of the ethernet port or and IP phone for that matter.

Make the WAN IP the one you use on your network and make the Lan IP of a different segement.

That should work just nicely.

Henk.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is how it should be connected.

PSTN
    |
    |
    (3)
    SPA3102 (1)
    |
    |
    WRT54GS (connected to Internet) --- 3CX Server --- 2 softphones
    | |
    | |
    | |---------- Telephone (IP)
    |
    VSP/ISP

Ports on your SPA3102

(1) is the wan port, this port is connected to your WRT54GS
    (2) is your ethernet port you can attach a Comp or IP phone to this but would not recommend this.
    (3) is your line port, this connect directly into your PSTN line. (if you use ADSL make sure you have a filter in between. Linksys forgot to mention that).
    (4) you can connect a Analogue phone to that.

Now if you have an IP phone connected to your ethernet port, you will run into some interesting issues. One is the NAT issue, reason being is that the Ethernet port
    will have a different IP address and therefore is seen as a different network. (hence the router function :)) But we do not want to use that
    so you have to move the phone on up to the chain and that is onto your WRT54GS.

Now lets assume that the phone you are using is an IP phone, once you move this phone up into the chain I expect the problem will go away. But i need to know
    if it is an IP phone or not and if it works if you connectit to your WRT54GS. So question time.

Questions:

1. The "Telephone" is that an IP phone?
    2. When you use your "Telephone" to call a PSTN phone you are using an VSP (Voice service provider)?
    3. Have you configured the SIP port on line1 and PSTN as different ports for example 5060 and 5061 ?

Anyway let me know how you go.

Henk

6. Mingers

Hi itfarmer,

Firstly, thanks for giving me a hand with this problem =0)

1) It's a regular telephone, not a VoIP phone, which is connected to Line 1 on the SPA 3102,
    2) I'm using a VSP via the 3CX server, not a VSP programmed into the SPA 3102,
    3) Yes, Line 1 is 5060 and PSTN is 5061,

Let me know if you require more information when you get a chance.

7. Mingers

I worked it out now. I was trying to be too creative by making the analogue phone connected to Line 1 on the ATA use outbound VoIP through the 3CX server. I just set it to use OzTell as a gateway and it works fine now =0)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL,

What you can do (and for sure you know this) is using your VoIP trunk to call your PSTN line.

To do that you must have the SIP port for line 1 and PSTN set to different ports.

Depending who your VSP is you might be able to dial your PSTN line for free. If not you get charged the normal VoIP cost. But if that is ok with you you can setup an extension to route to your PSTN line and you will have the similar scenario.

(How about that as a long way arround :)).

Henk.

9. mujalli

Please Henk,

I

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This scenario keeps poping up. :).

Best way to go about it is to setup a VPN.

You should be able to do:

Without any problems.

Where it is going to be tricky is to get your phone connecting to the 3cx server.

Your IP phones must be able to find the WRT54GS, the WRT54GS must be configured to forward the request to the 3cx Server.

You do not have to.

If you have a static IP on the WRT54GS, you can use the WRT54GS to forward that to 3cx (as mentioned above).

Your WRT54GS will have an IP address that is known to the internet, your 3cx server will have an IP address that is unique for your network (we call that behind the WRT54GS). Your WRT54GS and 3cx server do not need to have the same IP address.

So what you do is:
    IP phone(out of the office), use WRT54GS as gateway
    WRT54GS, use port forwarding (if it can do that) to forward the requests to the 3cx server.

Question:
    Out of the office, what does that mean? Where are these phones located in the network, are they on the same network as the 3cx server?

11. mujalli

Very Thanks Henk, but could you be more clear or tell me some screenshot web page once i

12. mujalli

Hi Henk I think just need to know how the WRT54GS must be configured to forward the request to the 3cx Server???
    How to use WRT54GS as gateway
    WRT54GS, use port forwarding (if it can do that) to forward the requests to the 3cx server???

Thanks again,