Line buttons on 7941g as BT & Skype

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Tension, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tension

Hi, I am a new member here so please be gentle. I have successfully set up a 3CX installation with 4x Cisco 7941g phones and a Linksys SPA3102.

I would like to use the two line buttons on the 7941 phones as they were intended, one as a line for the POTS line, and one to connect to Skype Connect.

How can I do this? Thanks in advance!!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The "as they were intended" is only in the eye of the user.

Any set line key can be made to use specific outgoing routes by using the outbound rules. You have to create rules that are used only by the extension number you assign to the line key you wish to use. In the same manner, inbound calls from those routes can be directed to the same extension (key).

Please provide more information on how you want this to work.

3. Tension

Thanks for the reply.

Basically:
    When I push Line 1 button and dial 123456789 I want it to dial through my BT line.
    When I push Line 2 button and dial 123456789 I want it to dial through my Skype Connect line.

I have read a lot online, but can't figure out how to do this in 3CX.

4. Saqqara

Saqqara Active Member

The best way of doing this, is to use outbound rules as above and use a prefix to use Skype route

To use BT, dial 01234 - the outbound rule will use the correct route

To use Skype dial 80123, the outbound rule will can be setup to detect the prefix of 8, delete it and route down the Skype link. The prefix can be set to anything.

As you only have one PSTN line, you can get the system to use Skype if the PSTN line is busy, just add Skype as Route 2 on the outbound rule.

Look at the outbound rules, will help you - http://www.3cx.com/docs/trunk-management/

5. Tension

Thanks, I already know that I can do that, but I specifically wanted to do it the way I described above. Is this not possible with 3CX?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In each outbound rule you can specify to which extension(s) (only) that rule will apply. You can create the same rule, but have it apply to two different extensions. if key one (say extension 201) dials it, it will take one route, if the second key (say extension 202) dials it, it will take a different route.

7. Saqqara

Saqqara Active Member

No sure about the line keys on Cisco phones, but on the Yealink they are more to do with 3CX extensions (you can have two extensions on the same phone). When you configure the phone to have two extensions, you can press line 1, line 2 and have 3CX route the calls via the correct route if outbound rules are configured correctly.

Not used Cisco phones, maybe worth logging into the webfront of the phone and see what functions you can assign to the keys.

8. Tension

Great, thanks very much! How can I do this? I have checked the web interface but find nothing of relevance.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the 3CX examples...

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/outbound-rules-a-complete-example/

The line that I have referred to is under Apply this rule to these calls/Calls from Extension(s)

If this is left blank, then the rule applies to all extensions, if you put an extension,multiple extensions, or a range, then it will apply only to those.

10. Tension

Thanks very much!

Just trying to get my head roumd this. Are you basically saying that I could assign the Line 1 button to insert, say, 2 at the start of the number, then Line 2 could insert, say, 3. Then a rule would be invoked which stripped away the first digit amd routed the call according to the rule? If so, that makes sense.

How could I set a lime button to dial a single number though?

Thanks in advamce.

EDIT: eg pressing line 1 and dialling 123456789 would result in 2123456789, then the 2 would be stripped and the rest of the number dialled according to a rule relating to the initial 2 which was dialled.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you want to insert a prefix digit, then you can delete that digit in the outbound rules. In that case, you would create rules that make use of the prefix along with some of the remaining digits. the prefix would then determine which route the call will take.

What I think you want to do is to assign two different extension numbers to two keys on the set. As I said previously, key one would use one rule, and take that route, and key two (being a different extension number) would use a different rule, and route.

This allows the dialling of the same number (from each key), with no prefix required, yet each call taking a different route.

I'm not certain how much more clear I can make this

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I should also mention that outbound rules are interpreted from the top to the bottom. This means that if you have any extension specific rules, that route based on the same digits, to the same destination, as "general" rules that you want to apply to all other extensions, then these should be above the general rule. This will also apply to any rule dealing with specific numbers, that could also be interpreted by the general rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.