Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Line Keys and Ring Groups

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by TSlocum, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

We have Cisco SPA514g phones and some of our folks need to answer calls differently depending on what DID is called. I've created a ring group for the DID and set up dummy extensions for each user and put them in the group. I then manually configured those dummy extensions on line key 4 on the phones, and it works well enough.

I'm wondering if, instead of creating a dummy extension for each user, I can create one shared dummy extension, configure it to accept multiple calls, and configure just that one on line key 4 (set to shared appearance) on multiple phones. What happens when multiple phones have this one extension, and multiple calls come in, or a user is on a call on that extension. Would a second call still ring at the same extension on other phones, or would it show as busy?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, if the extension is set to allow more than one call, and it doesn't go off to voicemail if busy, it should work.

#2 leejor, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Why not just create inbound rule names and set the option "Add Group, Queue or DID/DDI Names to Caller ID" to Prepend name under Contacts / Options ?
    This way the user will be able to see where the call is coming from and there will be no need to dummy extensions.

4. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

They want a quicker way to visually see where the call is coming from, and the separate line key accomplishes that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.